Chapter 28: The Truth

Haiden

I watched from the neighbors porch, the way she just melted to him. He's becoming a real nuisance that kid.

Her front door opened and a breeze blew their scent my way.

Her scent was of mine and of theirs, I bet they have no idea who her father really is. What he really was....

Vets took off Nikove's jacket before handing it to him and then giving him the softest kiss on the cheek.

Stupid wolf boy.

I leaned into the porch and watched him slowly leave and go to his home, he stopped and looked around before creeping into his home and shutting the door behind him.

Heading to my aunts house, I walked inside and heard Lue shouting at Abel to hurry up already.

Aunt Tally walked in and gave me a cautious stare, "Did you make sure Veta made it home safe?" She asked softly, quietly.

I gave a single nod and watched her stupid wolf husband walk over and smile at us before going upstairs calling goodnight. I focused back on her, "How you stay with that idiot is beyond me." I muttered watching her scold me.

Aunt Tally loved him, she was the only one who loved wolves, she wasn't one herself, not like I am. I'm what happens when a wolf and a wolf-hunter mate. An abomination, a traitor to both sides.

It helps though, I'm not mated with Veta but if I keep this up, I might be able to kill two birds with one stone. She has no idea that the pull she has to me, that protectiveness, is just because of our wolf-hunting ancestors blood promise.

She's foolish to go around touching wolves, some wolves can feel a shock or a tingle, and it lets them know to beware of the hunter. Of course wolf hunters are practically extinct now, so technically they wouldn't know.

Sam was a great werewolf hunter in his day, fucked up and got a wolf pregnant. Forced her from her mate and when he died, she hung herself in the park. That part was true. Veta has no idea either.

What a world to live in, to not know so much, especially about oneself? Such a sad thing.

She's a lot like me, an abomination, a killer of her own kind in the simplest form of existence. This is why I refuse to meet my mate, she's long far away and I made sure I'd never see her, never touch her. The touch is what seals their fate.

"Go rest. It's not summer yet. We've got a while before they're weak." Aunt Tally reminded me. I gave a nod and she smiled softly.

Going up the stairs, I went to bed and waited, but slowly sleep crept over me, taking my body and mind.

I was tired.

Sam

This isn't right.

"Hunny, stop pacing, you're going to wake Veta." Zelda said a bit annoyed in her half sleep state. She doesn't know that Veta's already slept walked herself to the forest.

I sighed and headed out the room while Zelda muttered for me to turn the lights off. Flipping them off, I went down the stairs while Gianna's face crossed my mind. Even Dimitri, their kids.

All my life, I've always felt the deep pull to their kind, and I've done things I'll never be proud of, things I regret. Now, having a child that is both the enemy and the ally, it makes everything so blurry.

The lines-they're all blurry.

Making my way to the backdoor, I shut it and turned going to pick up all of Veta's clothes, placing them in a pile on the couch. Damn wolves, always stripping.

I'd never hurt Veta, I love her, and I tried so hard, so hard to keep her from the wolves. I smelt them immediately, but it was too late by then. Haiden was supposed to help keep them from the initial touch, but his dumb ass fails at everything.

Nikove will have to stay alive, that way Veta can. But he won't let me get away with it, and a fight with him is absolutely death for me, I can't kill him without killing Veta in the process. Dilemma.

I have till the summer....maybe I can make it look like an accident.

Although-I also need that Kyro boy for Lue, tally would kill me otherwise. This is harder than I thought it'd be. So much harder.

This is going to be a really long winter.

Maybe I should warn Dimitri....warn him to pack and leave before the summer. Zelda could find them a new location to live in...anywhere far from here. This place-it's crawling with Wolf hunters.

No, that's against code.

Fuck.

Grabbing the gun, I headed up to the attic and set the gun, pointing it out to the forest, the wolf grazed his fur over her legs and urged her back to the backyard.

She followed him into the backyard before her feet buckled and she collapsed on the floor, pulsing and shaking.

Her wolf wants to come out, but that won't happen, it's not cold enough. It'll never be cold enough here for the halves to change. They'll keep that animalistic side of the container forever.

What a pity for Nikove, his wolf will never be satisfied, never feel full.

He nudged her with his muzzle, then curled up beside her and shook. His body changing, from wolf to man, Nikove reached down and grabbed Veta, walking her through the snow and to my backyard.

I watched him stop at the porch steps before taking a step on and I heard the back door open, followed by the creeping footsteps. I smelt him, the stench of dog, it's how is hunters sort the werewolves from humans, the scent of over whelming dog.

He left and went wolf outside the porch before disappearing into the woods.

That boys not like most werewolves, believing in taking what they want, savages. Most wolves are similar to Ava, but he's nothing like her. They're not like her.

Veta's mother was.