Chapter 22: Took A Bullet

Nikove

She was smiling all day.

I watched her avoid me, if I went on one side of the store, she went to the other. But she looked so happy, it made me happy.

My mind kept saying that seeing her this happy, even if I'm not the one making her feel this way, was satisfying.

"Veta fucking Mars!" A guy slammed the door shut behind him, walking inside.

I realized who he was when he turned his bandaged face toward me. He wore a cast on his arm, an eye patch, large white patch on his arm and neck, and one by his cheek.

Veta walked over calmly, "Tony." She said holding a book in her hands looking him over. "Abel kick your ass?" She asked laughing a bit.

I loved her laugh.

He scowled at her, "No, your psychotic boyfriend did! Blonde fucker! Abel's cousin?! Ring a fucking bell?!" He shouted at her.

My blood began boiling beneath my skin, I slowly walked closer to them, trying not to catch either of their attentions.

"Well you tried to kick his cousins ass, and then slapped me in the face. I think you damn well deserve it." She said placing the book down and crossing her arms over her chest.

He reached up and I let my instincts take over, grabbing his arm, I slammed him into the ground hard. His head smacked the wood floor boards and he hissed.

Good.

"Get out." I said threateningly, watching him slowly get up and stare at me, "Fuck yo-" he looked me over and stared up at my eyes before looking to Veta.

He glared at her, "Fuck you, whore." He spat before I lifted a fist and shoved it hard into his jaw. Blood splattered over the window and he hit his face into it hard. Thankfully it didn't shatter.

Tony spit some blood on the floor and then wiped his face with his good hand, "I'll kill you Veta." He said before walking out and slamming the door hard.

Fucker.

Sighing, I went behind the counter grabbing the roll of napkins and the window cleaner.

Veta was quietly watching me, lost in her thoughts or whatever. Either way she didn't talk, she didn't move either, she just stayed right there.

I cleaned up all the blood and tossed the soiled napkins and put the bottle and roll back.

The door opened and I watched Dimitri walk in sighing, "Nikove, some kid said you assaulted him." He said cocking an eyebrow at me.

Veta stepped up beside me, and I hadn't noticed she had moved from her spot at all. "He was defending me. Tony came in shouting and went to grab me, but Kove-Nikove protected me." She said glancing at me and catching my stare for a brief moment.

Dimitri stared from her to me and then nodded, "If there's anything I hate more than violence, it's men being violent with woman. I'll see you back at home tonight. Try not to punch them so hard. His two back teeth got knocked out." He said gesturing to his own teeth before leaving.

I let out a small breath of relief and smelt the scent of guilt. It was heavy, very heavy, and I stared down at Veta who sat on the stool staring at the chipped color on her nails.

She stared over at me, "I'm sorry for being such a bitch. I don't mean to push you away-I mean I do, but it's not you. Ava just...She's a one woman tornado of hell. No offense." She said looking to me apologetically.