Chapter 7: Time To Get A Job

Nikove

Dimitri parked the car and looked over at me, "I can practically smell the anxiety in you. What is it?" He asked giving me a look that dared me to lie to him.

I stared out the window and pondered telling him or not, but I felt I had to, packs never keep things from the pack leader.

Focusing back on him, I felt okay since Ava was nowhere around us. "I found my mate." I said low.

He gave me a small smile, "About time, you've accepted Ava huh? Well I give you-" I shook my head "Its not Ava." I said sighing.

His confusion was clear on his face and he leaned in, "I haven't smelt any wolves." He said watching me thoughtfully.

I laughed, short and absolutely humorless, "That's because she isn't a wolf. It's as confusing to me as it is to you, but she isn't a wolf." I admitted running my hand through my hair nervously.

Dimitri stared with a watchful eye, "Is it who I think it is?" He asked quietly.

Like I'm supposed to know who he thinks it is.

I sighed and looked over at him, he ran a hand over his face, "Veta." He said staring over at me. All I could do was nod, afraid my words would kill someone.

He tapped his fingers over the steering wheel, "She'll kill her." He said thoughtfully, he knew it too. I gave him a worried look, "That's why I can't touch her, you and Mikael said the second you touched your mate, that was it, you were blinded by love." I said bluntly

Dimitri nodded, "It's true, we drowned in one another but that's because our mates wolves connected at the touch. From the way I see it, she hasn't come running back to the house to see you after the books. Has she?" He asked.

I shook my head, a bit disappointed but trying to hide that with a confused look.

A hand laid on my shoulder, "It'll be okay, we just have to take things slow. No wolf has ever mate-matched with a human." Dimitri reminded me, as if I needed a reminder. I didn't, it's all I've thought about since I stared into her eyes.

"We'll just have to ease her into our family, get the others to trust her. Anya and Mikael seem to like her and Mikael hates everyone but Anya." He added with a slight look of amusement and impressiveness.

I laughed a bit, "He does hate everyone." I nodded and he gestured for me to go down and help him bring in the bags of groceries.

The commotion from outside was easily noted, out my window her soft laugh came, another girls laugh with her. Then the sound of Anya, soon enough the front door opened and I smelt her.

Veta.

I heard her laughing lightly and then listened all night, staying quiet and wishing Ava didn't breathe so loudly in her sleep. I wanted to hear Veta's laugh and drunken slurs.

They talked all night until Veta was single Brown Eyed Girl and then she was out. It was quiet.

Moving out of my hold with Ava, I stood and
Headed out the bedroom, going to the kitchen and watching Mikael and Anya passed out on the table. Across from them, Veta was asleep. Her hair in the cake and beer bottle held by the tips of her fingers.

Carefully taking the bottle, I placed it down and looked at Mikael as he lifted his head and picked up Anya who protested with small little moans of fits. They left Veta and I in the kitchen.

I wanted to lift her, take her to my bed, or at least anything more comfortable than this table. But as I heard Ava's light foot steps, I shut the kitchen lights off and grabbed a glass walking back to the room and placing it down. Ava pulled me back to the bed, but my chest stayed in the kitchen, my mind lingered at the table.