Chapter 17: Deer In The Headlights

Veta

It's been three days, Kyro hasn't gone to school, and I haven't seen the others either. They're all cooped up in the house and only leave to go to work and then they're quickly home. I think I'm avoiding them too.

I haven't seen Lue much either, she's been leaving early to get to school before me and goes running on the track during lunch. She also sits away from me during class.

I'm losing everyone real fast.

Going to the book store, I headed inside hoping to see Lue, she works Thursday's after school so hopefully she'll be here.

I let the door shut the cold out and walked over the creaking wooden floor boards to the counter. My eyes settled on Haiden and I gave him a small smile, "Hi, is Lue here?" I asked trying not to sound desperate for her.

His eyes moved to the book in his hand, "Yeah, but I'm not supposed to say she is." He replied quietly as he leaned over the counter.

Right. Then she really doesn't want to see me.

I muttered a curse word and he gave me a small grin, "Thrillers. F through G." He said quietly before focusing back on scanning books.

"Thanks, Haiden." I said with a polite smile and he gave me a careful stare before nodding.

Going to the thriller section, I crept quietly before I noticed her standing at one of the aisles, a book in her hand and her eyes lost into a far distance elsewhere.

I slowly walked over and gave the shelf beside her a knock when she didn't look up to me.

She jumped, and placed a hand over her chest smacking my arm with the book, "For Christ sake Vee, don't sneak up on people!" She said sighing and scowling as she aggressively began putting the books on the shelves.

Clearly, she's been crying.

"Yeah well you shouldn't ignore people either. They'll start to worry you've got bugs crawling into your brain and laying eggs or something." I joked while she cocked an eyebrow, "What if I do? Some crazy heart thumping, tummy turning type of bug." She said going back into getting lost in her mind.

Heart thumping?

Tummy turning?

"Uh, Lue?" I asked quietly while leaning my shoulder into the shelf.

She gave me an annoyed glance, "Are you crushing? I mean if you are that's awesome and great, but...are you?" I felt worry in my own voice before she grabbed my wrist and pulled me deeper into the book store, past the 'EMPLOYEES ONLY' sign.

"I can't be Veta, I know I can't be. But ever since he looked at me with those big eyes and it was like a smack, like a-like a-a trance or something. I don't know!" She whisper shouted and crossed her arms over her chest while pacing back and forth.

I watched her carefully, "So you have a crush on Kyro?" I tried to match the points and she dropped her hands glaring at me, "Do I have to spell it out for you?! Yes! I do! I don't understand how since I haven't ever liked anyone crush wise since y-" she stopped and gazed over at me, "Years ago." She stated, and although she thinks that was smooth, I know better.

She meant me.

Tucking my hair back, I sat on the floor beside her as she plopped down, "Veta? Can I confess something to you that I've never told anyone else?" She asked as she gazed at the dust kept books.

I just gave a nod and held out my pinky, she hooked hers with mine and then let go. "Don't freak out either, okay?" She spoke with regret and anger toward herself, I don't like hearing her talk about herself that way.