Chapter 11: Varcity Track

Nikove

Ringing up the two books, I stared at the screen, "Twelve sixty three." I stared bagging the copy of some video game tutorial build, and a book with stickers of superhero's.

The kid stood on his tiptoes and placed down a hundred dollars, smiling up at me suspiciously. His pupils dilated and his palms seemed to shake as he laid the money down. The kids stench was heavy with worry and anxiety.

Now, I'm no idiot, so I know this kid just stole his parents money. But I have to give the kid some credit, he's not buying drugs or candy, but books.

Taking the hundred, I placed it into the underneath of the register and grabbed out change, handing it to the kid before giving him the bag of books.

He frantically rushed out of there and I grinned at the thought of him ever trying to steal something. He'd be an easy target to spot in a store, he looks so stressed and uneasy.

"You know he stole that money."

I turned my attention from the door to the guy placing some books on the shelf. His eyes focused on the door and then over at me.

He was sizing me up, idiot.

I shrugged, "Well I'd rather him buy books than drugs or junk." I replied while he gave me a long stare.

Ringing the books up, I looked to the screen, "Forty three dollars even." I replied as the ding of the door opening came.

He placed down cash even and I bagged the books handing him the bag. Something about him smelt off.

I looked to his eyes, noting their red tint.

Then her voice pulled my attention, "No, ew! Never!" Veta said with a small laugh, beside her was Lue grinning and teasing her about something.

The guy took the bag and I watched him eye Veta over with no shame. She noticed and moved uncomfortably away from him before he left.

"Alright, give me the best you've got." Veta said to Lue who took her wrist and walked her down to the fiction section.

I tried to keep my gaze from her, to stop myself from drowning in her laugh and scent.

They began talking about some book and Lue said she'd just skimmed it but it seemed cool. Veta walked out holding it in her hands, the first page open and her eyes focused on the words while she trailed toward the front.

The sound of books tumbling came and I heard Lue curse before she muttered a few hateful words to the stories and authors.

Veta smiled softly toward Lue and then shut the book slowly, as if she hadn't wanted to. Then she looked up and caught eyes with me, I stood still, afraid I'd scare her off.

It's been a week since we ate at the diner, she's been avoiding me, and constantly turning Kyro's invites down.

I think she's terrified of Ava.

She began walking slower, more aware of her surroundings and she softly laid the book on the counter.

I rang up the book and placed it in a bag but she quickly retorted, "No bag, I'll read it out." She said shyly.

Taking the book out the bag, I placed it down and kept a hand on it unconsciously before saying her total, "Six nineteen." I let go of the book and took the ten dollars.

She gently took the book and stared at it with longing.

It was some sort of dark poetry book and she seemed eager to reader it.