A New Soldier

On the bed was Maddie. There were machines around her beeping in sync with her heart rate.

"Stark you son of a..." Steve started but didn't get to finish because Maddie's eyes fluttered open.

"Maddie!" Bucky said rushing to her side.

"But how?" Steve questioned.

"You see cap I replicated the serum the two of you had and inserted in into her bloodstream. After a lot of hard work we got her heart going again."

Steve pulled Tony into a hug. "Thank you"

"So she's got the serum now?" Bucky asked.

Tony nodded.

"Where am I?" Maddie asked quietly.

"Your at the compound" Steve said softly as he walked over to her side as well.

"What happened?" She asked softly taking attention to her surroundings.

Neither Steve or Bucky had the heart to tell her.

"That doesn't matter. What matters now is your all right." Bucky said stroking her hair.

That what something that always helped Maddie calm down. He had done it as long as she could remember.

"When can I go home?" She asked slowly sitting up.

"Tomorrow afternoon" Tony said stepping over to the machines. "We need to make sure you able to control this"

"Control what?" Maddie asked confused.

"In order to save you Tony needed to insert a serum into you bloodstream." Steve explained.

"Your like us now Maddie" Bucky said with a bit of laughter.

"I am?" Maddie looked down at her hands "I guess I do feel a bit different"

The next day Maddie was feeling much better. She was able to walk around. It was like she never even got hit in the first place except for the fact she was now like her parents. A super soldier. Expect she wasn't a soldier...yet.

Maddie was in the training room with Clint. Nat, Tony, Steve, and Bucky were standing on the side of the sparing mat. Tony wanted to see Maddie's new strength and abilities. Clint came at Maddie but she quickly moved out of the way and ended up behind him. She twisted his arm and pinned it against his back and then threw him to the floor. Steve and Bucky had proud looks on their faces, Nat was laughing and Tony was writing things down.

"I was letting you win." Clint groaned as he got up.

"Sure you were" Maddie said rolling her eyes.

Clint walked over to the juice bar in the training room and got a drink of water. Maddie walked over as well.

"Can we go home now?" She whined

The family went home after Tony did a few more tests deeming it was safe for her to go home but ordered them to come back if anything went wrong.

Steve unlocked the door to their apartment and the three of them piled in. Maddie went to her room and changed into an oversized white shirt  with the avengers logo on it and short blue pajama shorts. You could barely see the shorts because of how long the shirt was and then she pulled her long chestnut hair into a messy bun. She walked up to the full length mirror on the back of the door and stared  at herself. She didn't look any different but she did feel different. Meanwhile Steve and Bucky were in their room. They both changed into long flannel pajama pants and no shirt. Bucky sat down on the edge of the bed and watched as Steve took his shirt off.

"You know everything is going to be different now. She's going to want to be involved now that she's able to fight." Bucky said with a sigh.

Steve walked over and sat next to Bucky and put his hand on Bucky's thigh.

"We will get through this together Buck. As a family." Steve said.

Bucky smiled and planted a small kiss on Steve's cheek. They both looked at the doorway. Maddie was standing the the doorway with a board game.

"Game anyone?" She said wiggling the box.

Bucky and Steve were laughing and got up from the bed. They all gathered at the kitchen table to play the game.

The next morning Steve woke up and walked into the kitchen. Maddie was up making eggs.

"Want any?" She said not turning around to face her dad.

"No thank you, You'd probably burn them anyways." Steve said with a chuckle.

Maddie turned around and glared at him.

"You know Maddie things are going to be different from now on." He started. "Your dad and I will be here to help you."

"I'll be fine dad" Maddie said scooping the eggs onto a plate.

How different could she really be. She was the same old Maddie. The same old Maddie with added strength, agility, hearing, vision, and speed. But how different could that really make her life.

Maddie was sitting at the table eating when she heard a knock at the door. She got up to answer it but Steve beat her to the door.