The Accident

Steve and Bucky finally made it to the hospital. They ran in the door and found Tony waiting for them. Bucky wanted to strangle Tony for letting this happen to his daughter but he had to remember it wasn't Tonys fault. They rode in the elevator up to the 5th floor. Bucky was squeezing Steve's hand the whole way up. Once the elevator stopped the three men made their way to one of the rooms on the floor. When they walked in Steve and Bucky's hearts shattered at the sight. There was Maddie lying unconscious on a bed with wires everywhere. She had two IVs in her right arm and one in her left. Her whole body was bruised but they could barely see anything due to the excessive amount of wires and tubes covering her body. She had a blanket covering from her chest down to her feet and her arms were laying by her side on the top of the blanket. Tony broke the silence.

"I'm going to check on Natasha." He said as he was leaving the room.

Bucky and Steve both had tears running down their faces. Nobody thought that the two super soldier would break, they were the toughest of everyone but here they were broken. Seeing their daughter almost lifeless on the bed broke them.

"Maddie?" Bucky managed to say quietly.

It took them a minute to register what was going on. They stood their frozen with tears running down their faces. Steve walked over next to Maddie and sat down in a chair next to the bed. He gently brought her hand up and kissed it lightly. The tears just kept coming.

It had been a few hours since they arrived at the hospital. They went to visit Nat a few times in her room down the hall. Natasha kept blaming herself for what happened but Steve and Bucky said it wasn't her fault. Steve and Bucky were sitting next to each other in chairs in Maddie's room. They were quietly talking and then they heard a bunch of beeping coming from the machines around Maddie. Nurses and doctors started pouring in. One of the doctors ordered Bucky and Steve to leave. Bucky protested but Steve managed to get him out. They stood outside the door waiting to see what happened. After 20 minutes the doctor came out. His head was low.

"I'm sorry." He said taking his gloves off.

Steve went limp and Bucky had to catch him. The soldiers had many tears streaming down their face. They slowly walked in to see Maddie's lifeless body on the bed. Steve went over to the side of the bed and kneeled down next to the bed. His head was rested again the bed as he faced Maddie. He had her still hand in his. Bucky ran out of the hospital into the parking lot. He kneeled down and screamed with he clutched his head. This can't be happening the two men thought.