Chapter 13: Break On Through Part Three

Chapter 13: Break On Through, Part Three

"Dear Meredith,

Thank you for the chats yesterday. I'm sorry I slammed the door on your face. You're right, we can talk even if I am not a surgeon. I am a psychiatrist and if you ever want to talk again do not hesitate to visit me at the window. Have a good day and hello to your friends.

Ps. My name is Arthur.

Thanks for the Memories."

Meredith held the second note she had ever received from a mystery lover in her life.

She had found it in her locker in an envelope when she went for snacks.

And for some reason, she felt different about this one.

First of all, Arthur signed his name to the note.

And second of all, he'd blown her off,

And Meredith was confused.

Was this - HIM?

'Mystery man'?

They had both written the same line of "Thanks for the Memories. So could it be true?

Could the mystery be solved?

Could she finally know who had taken her home that night at the bar?

Meredith wanted to know the answer for real, but in all honesty she was feeling crushed.

She had pictured all of these beautiful exotic men to have been her potential suitor.

And now that she had an idea, well, this person just didn't seem so special to her.

Sure, Meredith had liked how she felt when she'd been seducing him for sport.

But she hadn't even given him a second thought since her game.

And she thought that HE knew that she was just putting on over him.

Was that what this was to HIM? Was SHE just a part of a twisted little game?

Was HE laughing with his friends about this wild goose chase with a mystery woman,

That he had been sending notes with "Thanks for the Memories" written on them.

Finally revealing his true crush on her after they'd talked?

Was he the guy from the bar who carried her home and didn't try to take her clothes off?

(Was he the one who brought her the aspirin and water and fixed her plant-)

(Though, after she'd knocked that plant over, that it just REFUSED to be straight. )

(She had tied a literal pole in the flowerpot to try to straighten it.)

(But it had it's own little way of remaining as queer as it's shape and resisting.)

(So Meredith had given up on trying to fix her stupid potted plant, she accepted it.)

(And had watered it as it leaned just a little bit more sideways as each day passed again.)

But besides that, had he been the one to know she had work the next day?

Or had tucked her in so tightly like neither her parents nor Richard ever had?

Or that he'd known to lock the door behind him and sneak the key back to her?

All of these questions, the one that Meredith found the most pressing,