Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter thirty eight

Chapter thirty eight.
For possibly the twentieth time since his father had the whole reveal, I asked. "Are you sure you're okay? Especially about everything." We were in a vehicle heading back to Kitan's camp, but I couldn't help the niggling feeling burning in my chest.

Levi grinned. "Seriously, stop worrying. There's hardly any new thing from what I already know. My birth parents are dead and my adopted father's still shitty."

"You know it's more than that."

He sent me a look. "Yes it's more than that, but I can't keep rolling on the ground overthinking this. I want to quit making you worry about me. It doesn't look good on my ego."

I scoffed. "Fuck your ego."

I softened, as he took my hand. "That's true, but we have a lot to deal with and I don't want to put pressure on you. I don't want to be that needy boyfriend everyone hates. I want to be the type that you'd be proud of."

I couldn't fight back my grin. "Are you kidding me? I'm so proud of you. You've taken charge and reevaluated your life. It takes courage to do that."

"Well I couldn't have done that without you." His gentle gaze linked on mine. "And you've done so much more. I admire you. You have more courage than I do. Sometimes, I think I'm dragging you down."

I cupped his cheeks, smiling. "You soft little sweetheart. The only weight that's dragging me down is people's prejudice about our kind. But even that, I'm fighting. That's why we need to save our people. To prove them wrong. To be ourselves. And we are going to prove that. No matter the consequences."

He repeated firmly. "No matter the consequences."

★★★
Mubarak patted Levi's back. "Welcome back, guys. Though you guys disappearing us was just a little unnecessary. We almost thought you abandoned us. Kitan had to reassure us that you guys weren't dumping us."

I smiled. "We needed to do what we had to do to gather our sponsors."

We had gotten back to our hideout and were huddled up by our people, who got more curious by our absence. Laurena looked at us, with a burning gaze. "What else aren't you telling us. Cause I feel like you two are making a habit of keeping us in the dark."

Levi arched a brow. "No one is keeping anyone in the dark without good reasons. I asked for your complete trust weeks ago and it seemed like all of you meant it. Why the distrust now?"

Red shot his girlfriend a look, before breaking into a small smile. "You need to understand from our point of view. The council already screwed us over. We couldn't risk being tricked again. Besides, we don't completely trust Kitan as a leader. Too hot headed."

Levi gave him a reassuring nod. "Don't worry about that. I'm still the leader. I don't think I'll turn my back on you guys."

Kemi hissed testily. "You don't think?"

Levi rolled his eyes. "Now's not the time to play devil's advocate. You know what I mean."

"Do we really?" Her eyes had narrowed. "We trust you. But the problem is, do you trust us?"

"What the hell are you insinuating?" My words hardened.

Levi looked unwavered by her harshness. "No, no. Let her continue."

Kemi folded her arms. Eyes blazing with annoyance. "We were tricked by the council and made to believe that they were on our side. They used us to play politics, so they'd still have a stake in the government's office and we were cast aside. We do not want a repeat with you. You have immunity and you can get some for your cute little girlfriend. The rest of us, however, are at risk."

Lyra sighed, shaking her head. "I tried to convince them to trust you, but with you guys being gone for a long while, they panicked. Thought you fled."

Mubarak pushed back his glasses, that dangled loosely on his nose. "We just want to know where you were. No pressure."

"Where we were?" Levi's lips thinned. "I'll make it as straight forward as possible. We went to see my dad, so he could finance our little quest."

Ada frowned. "Wait, I thought you cut ties with him?"

"We've been planning this for months. Where do you think we'd get the finance from? From a benevolent NGO?" Levi responded evenly.

Juan, who hadn't spoken, raised his narrowed eyes at us. "And you're sure he wouldn't double cross us. It seems to be the latest thing now."

I lowered my head slightly. He was talking about Kel. He still had no idea how much of a bigger picture Kel was, in this. "We're a 100% sure he won't betray us. We have the higher stakes. Don't worry."

Those last two words seemed to ease them a bit and like that, the whole meeting ended. But Levi still had a standoff left with his brother, who leaned dangerously against the wall and was waiting to have a private conversation with Levi.

Odell walked closer, with his hands propped in the front pocket of his jeans. "I hope I didn't catch you guys at a bad time."

Levi gruffly said. "Just cut to the chase, bro."

Odell wore one of his many serious expressions on his face. "I'm guessing you made a deal with dad, hence why he's financing this whole thing. I'm only curious as to how you did it. It would surely break my heart if you used his secret to get to him."

Levi sighed. "Things are a lot more complicated when it comes to dad. It's never direct, but it's a compromise we were willing to take."

Odell roared. "Why do you keep defending him? Even after knowing everything. I was hoping you'd cut off ties and finally see things like I do. Politics is messy. Radiants politics is messier. And neither one of us, is up for it."

Levi calmly replied. "Because he's creating a new world for us. A country solely for us, where we can live however we like. He's made a lot of sacrifices. That's why I'm standing by him. He's flawed but he's all we've got."

"A country for us?"

Levi caught his surprised look, and quickly shrugged. "An island actually. But yes, an island for Radiants. Safe from all prejudice. That was what I was protecting. I truly hope you now understand why."

I was surprised he was willing to tell his brother and the determination in his eyes made me understand why. He never had Odell's complete trust. Odell always thought of him as the guy who stuck through their father's side. But now, Levi finally learnt what trust meant and how badly it would affect a team if it were lost. He clearly owed Odell that.

Odell mused for a while, then turned to look at me. I quickly said, before he had the chance to kick me out. "Okay, okay. I'm leaving. You don't have—"

Odell cleared his throat. His cheeks went a slight shade of crimson red. "No. Stay. I was a little too harsh on you last time. You don't need of that. You were just being loyal. I apologize."

Still reeling from my shock, I nodded. "Apology accepted. It's fine. I know why you did what you did."

Odell nodded back, before taking a long glance at Levi. "I may not be involved with your little project, but you have my approval. I have my little family to protect. My daughter, most of all. But you, you are saving a whole race. That's bigger than what I imagined. I used to think of you as dad's little puppet. A mindless soul. But now, I see you. You did good, bro. Just try not to get killed and after this, we can have dinner together one last time."

"We'll have plenty dinners at the island, so—" Levi caught the quick shake of his head and reality dawned on him. "You're not coming?"

Odell's lips drew into a grimace. "We all have different destinies, little brother. Mine is right here. Helping whoever is stuck in this place. You do yours. I expect great things from you."

With that, both brothers fell into silence and then, I felt something gnaw in me. We all had different paths. We were different souls, doing good deeds in different ways. All that mattered, was how far we'd go to protect who we were.