Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter twenty nine

Chapter twenty nine.

Kel's voice on the phone turned grumpy. "What do you want?"

"Now's not the time to become so difficult. Have you mailed your mom's keycard like we asked?"

"Yes, I did it hours ago. But when can I get it back? I know my mom won't notice because she doesn't work on weekends, but she's a very perceptive person."

Otherwise known as qualities of a budding psychopath. I rolled my eyes. "You'll get it back by tomorrow morning. Our IT guy works wonders really quickly."

Kel's voice sounded doubtful. "What do you intend to do with it? You need to be careful. It's more—"

"That's not your business. Only worry about what you have to do. Don't stress your head about things you don't understand." I snapped unexpectedly

Her voice turned small. "I thought you trusted me again. I had—"

I gritted my teeth. "What we have is a compromise, not trust. You're doing us a favor and we're doing you the same. Don't ever think of it as anything else."

"I hope you're getting your security people to protect my dad." Sighing from the other end, she muttered

"We'll have it done before the week ends. Unlike you, we actually try to avoid lying to people  and instead, show our loyalty."

Kel kept quiet for a second. I almost thought she had cut the call, until I heard a soft whisper. "I'm really sorry."

"Tell that to the others." Then I hung up. I'm trying really hard not to be upset, but it seemed almost impossible. I understood why she did the things she did, but it didn't change the fact that it happened. She endangered the lives of people we loved. That's not something easy to forget. Especially not when they're still trapped.

Levi's low voice, pulled me away from my jumbled thoughts. "Everything okay?"

I almost jumped in surprise when he came in, then replied as calmly as I could. "Just made some last minute check on our package. It's on its way. Kel just confirmed it."

Levi nodded. "That's good."

"How was your conversation with your brother?" My curiosity was really getting the best of me.

Levi scratched the back of his head distractedly. "It got weird. He's too paranoid to say it, whatever IT is. He did give me directions in our family's house where the secret lies."

"So I guess we have a road trip to prepare for. When are we going?"

Levi tensed. "Tomorrow. You up for that?"

"I should be asking you the same. Whatever we find won't be easy to swallow." I ran my eyes over his frigid frame.

He answered tightly. "I don't need it to swallow, I just need enough to get my dad to help us. Even if he doesn't like it."

...........
I nibbled on my lower lip. "Hi Lyra."

Lyra cast me a small glance. "I'm guessing you're here, acting all nervous because you have something to say."

"I need a favour."

"I'm listening." She hummed

"I need you to tell me if this plan would work. I need a little confidence boost because I'm so scared of—"

Lyra gave a small frown. "Scared of what?"

I tensed slightly. "I need to know what I'm getting into. What WE are getting into. Can you help me? I need a glance into the future about our plan. Would we save our friends? "

"Do you doubt what Levi can do? I thought both of you came up with the plans together."

I pursed my lips. "We did."

"So what is it? Tell me what's wrong?"

I admitted the things I had been holding back because I didn't want to disappoint Levi with my doubts. "I don't trust Kel. I also don't trust Vikram Caden."

Lyra was taken aback. "You don't trust Levi's father?"

I stiffened. I wasn't supposed to admit that aloud, but a part of me needed to be sure. "I just need you to tell me the truth. Would it work?"

Lyra sighed. "You know my gift doesn't work that way. I don't choose what I see. It just happens."

"Then take my hand for as long as you want. Hold it. Tell me. Please."

Lyra narrowed her eyes. "What's making you so scared? Talk to me. I can help."

"We're going to meet Vikram Caden tomorrow. He scares me. I'm afraid we won't be able to convince him."

Lyra pursed her lips. "I see. You need to be strong. For Levi. He's really going to need you. Without you, I wonder if he's tough enough to hold on."

I let out another sigh. "You're not going to tell me what that means, are you?"

"I can't change the course of nature. Be strong, Tamar." She repeated firmly and I couldn't help the feeling of dread running through me.