Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter sixteen

Chapter sixteen

LEVI

Light sheered through the window and I struggled to keep my eyes open. Cursing slowly, I let my eyes wander the room. It was an unfamiliar hospital room, but looked too tastefully furnished to be an ordinary hospital. Where the hell am I?

My gaze trailed to Tamar's sleeping figure sprawled on a couch in my room. She looked so peaceful, but I noticed the tired lines under her eyes. My heart sank at the sight. This was what I wanted to avoid. I didn't want her to see me like this. That was why I ended things. I didn't want her to stand by me, when everything would happen. I didn't want her to go through that much.

Groaning slowly, I wondered how I got here. I walked over to Tamar, and tapped her arm. Her eyes fluttered open slowly, and her beautiful face lit up, when she saw me.

Her lips parted. Coral coloured eyes danced around, as she pulled me into a hug. God, I missed that feeling. "Levi. You're okay. You really scared me."

I rubbed my eyes. "How long was I out?"

Tamar's gaze trailed away. She rubbed the back of her neck. "You've been here for almost two days, Levi."

I frowned. Two days. This was perhaps the longest.

Tamar's soft voice pulled me back to reality. "What's going on? How the hell did you pass out?"

I took her hand gently. Her gentle eyes widened softly. I loved seeing those expressions on her cherubic face. "I promise to tell you everything. I swear on everything I love. But I need to ask you something. How did I get here?"

Her nose crinkled. Just the way it always did. "Odell called your dad, and he took three of us here. I've been sleeping in here these past days."

This time I was shocked. Those two hadn't spoken in almost a year. I could only imagine how awkward it would have been. "Odell called dad?"

"We had no choice. We didn't know what else to do, but for some reason, Odell didn't look so surprised."

I muttered in disdain. "That's because this isn't the first time it has happened."

Tamar squeezed my hands. She locked her eyes gently with mine, and let her face soften once again. "Talk to me. I know it's hard, but you need to let me in."

I closed my eyes gently. I was too embarrassed to say it. The last person I told didn't seem to take it well at all. But looking into Tamar's hopeful eyes, made me admit one thing. "I'm epileptic. Not the kind that most people knew. My RR gene altered it. I usually stay in a depressive mood and sometimes a coma-like state often, mostly because of my fast reflexes. I also suffer from anxiety too, so it makes everyday harder than the next. I would always get so sick and it made me wonder why Vikram Caden even kept me around. It's probably the main reason I owe him a lot. He took care of me, and spent millions finding a cure."

I shifted my gaze linger around the room for a split second, before I finally continued. "It was important that my illness was kept a secret, and Oge was the only one I trusted to keep it. Every week she helped to make it, and I'd take it whenever I needed to. Unfortunately, after the government took them, I haven't had a new batch, so I had been managing with the little I had."

I paused once again, to cup her cheek. "That's why I broke things off with you. Even though, I didn't want to. I knew it was happening soon and I didn't want to scare you away."

Tamar's mouth twisted. "What gave you the impression that I would leave you, because of it?"

Clenching my fist, I said. "Aliyah. When she and I were together, I ran out of my pills for a while, and I became almost manic. She didn't take it very well. Something changed in her. Maybe she realized I wasn't as amazing as everyone thought I was, and it altered the dynamics in our relationship. I didn't want you to change, when you saw what really happens to me. I was afraid that I'd lose you and I preferred to do it on my terms."

Shaking her head, she slowly ran her fingers through my hair. It was something she liked to do, and a habit I was so fond of. "I'm not Aliyah. I could never turn my back against you."

"Before Aliyah turned into what she is, she was just like you. Brave and sweet. I just didn't want to go through that again. I was protecting myself from the worst. The only reason she's even staying in the Clandestine, is because she knows about my ill health."

Tamar just stared at me, then shook her head once again. Curls bouncing through each shake. "Wow. I had no idea. I wish you had a little faith in me, but I understand. It's difficult for you, but I need you to know that I'm never leaving you. We're in this together."

I cracked a small smile. I felt like the luckiest person alive to have someone that wasn't disgusted by who I truly was. I couldn't resist pulling her into a slow loving kiss. She responded, arching her back slightly and deepening the kiss into something sensual.

Pulling away slowly, I mumbled. "I love you."

She gave me yet another kiss. "I love you too, Levi."

I took her hand. "Let's leave now. We need to get going, before-"

"Before what, son?" Dad's voice thundered. I turned around and swore. There was no way we'd get out of this.

*****
I decided to have a chapter on Levi's point of view, after his dreadful collapse. It felt like the right moment to know what was going through his mind after such a dire moment.
I hoped you liked it, as much as I did.
Xoxo
Jasmine