Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter seventeen

Chapter 17
Kel was sandwiched between Levi and I, on our way back home and she took her time to ask me as much questions as she could, concerning the Strikers. I filled her in, with the little knowledge I knew. Levi chipped in, answering a few of her questions and backed away, when he needed to make a phone call.

Kel mumbled. "I never imagined my life turning out like this."

"I had a pretty normal life, before any of this happened. So I know a little bit of how you feel. I do miss my family, but I'm getting used to having this one as my own."

Her face turned sombre. "I don't have a family anymore. All I had was my dad and they shot him dead when he tried to resist my arrest."

I gasped internally. Would that have happened to my dad too, if he had attacked the security enforcer? Was this what the government has resulted to? "I'm sorry you went through that. I have no idea how that's like."

"At least I'm safe now. With you guys around."

Levi slid his phone down his pocket and offered Kel a sympathetic look. "Yes, you are. We're here already. Welcome to the Clandestine."

I followed Kel's gaze as she looked at the place in transfix. On the outside, it looked like a simple suburban abandoned garage, but in reality, was an underground building with layers of floors that housed radiants only. The garage doors opened widely when Wale made use of its automatic remote control and the van rolled in.

Juan left his coworkers the second we pulled in, and went to us. "Thank God you're back. Your van needs the servicing I—"

His words trailed off, when he noticed Kel standing in our midst. He pulled on his usual casual smile, showing a peek of his right dimple. "Welcome, newbie. I'm Juan. A council member and foreign ambassador to the Strikers."

She looked hesitant to reply, then she looked into his eyes and gave a coy smile. "I'm Kel."

Levi remarked. "Now that we're done with the introductions. Your new friend, Tamar, would give you a tour of the Clandestine." He paused, then turned his head towards me. Amber-orange eyes blazing with intensity. "After that, I need you to meet me in the council room. The council members and I need to have a talk with you."

I gulped. I knew I was definitely in trouble.

.....

Unsurprisingly, my tour with Kel lasted for close to an hour. In a place as big as this, I made sure to give her every detail of each room in this place. I took her through the elevators that carried us to different floors and also through the many hallways, explaining what I could to her.

Kel asked. "Levi's the leader, right? How did he get to the position here."

I admitted. "I honestly don't know the details about that. You can ask around. What I do know is that he's a Caden. One of the most popular radiant families in Nigeria."

"So you think he got his position because of his affluence?"

I paused, in my tracks and turned to stare at her. I couldn't find the words to reply her question.

She smiled sheepishly. "I didn't mean it to sound awkward. I was just a little interested in Levi."

I stiffened. "Interested in him?"

Kel's eyes widened ."Oh God, no. Not in that way." I relaxed a little, then she sent a quizzical look. "My intuition was right. There is something going on between you and Levi."

My cheeks flamed up. "I don't think the words "Levi and I" belongs in the same sentence. He's just my trainer. And our leader too."

Kel cocked her head to the side. "I just assumed-" she paused, to think for a while, then continued. "Well, never mind. The way he looks at you, I just thought-"

"You thought wrong." My words turned cold. Kel's eyes widened, but wisely said nothing.

We both walked around, in awkward silence and Kel's voice chirped. "What about clothes? Where do I get new ones?"

"After our tour, I'll take you to the design team. They'll take your measurements and sew ten complete outfits that can be worn interchangeably. You'll have to manage with that. You'll get your clothes hopefully tomorrow morning. They're super fast at their jobs."

Kel nodded slowly, then inquired. "And where I'd sleep?"

"Levi would assign a room to you. Don't worry. Just tell him before he goes to bed and he'd pair you up with someone."

"Can you be my room mate? You're the only one I'm comfortable with, right now."

My eyes grew wistful. "I wish I could do that, but I already have a roommate."

"Oh. That's too bad. At least, I'll see you around."

"Definitely. You can join me for dinner. You can sit with me and my team mates for dinner. This would be my first time sitting with them and it'll be great to have you around."

Kel sighed in relief. "Thank you. Really. You've been so kind to me so far. Thanks for the tour round this colossal refuge."

My lips curled up. "Big words you got there."

She blushed. "Sorry. My dad's an English professor. It's almost impossible not to know big words. I just got into Unilag as a philosophy student. What was your life like, before any of this?"

"I was two months away from being a petro-chemical engineering student at Caden University. I actually got the admission to the school. I was practically wrapping up secondary school, when all these happened."

"Wow. You'd have to be super good to enter Caden."

"I guess those dreams are now mundane after all."

"We will get our lives back. I'm sure of it."

I didn't want to dampen her high spirits by disappointing her, so instead I said. "I've got to leave you. I have a meeting to get to."

"Meeting with the council. I heard. Goodluck with it."

I waved at her in appreciation and walked to the council office. They all sat in their usual seats and individually, held serious looks. My eyes locked with Levi's, hoping to get something from his expression, but his face revealed nothing.

Aliyah stated, sinking comfortably in her seat. "Welcome. We've been expecting you."

.....
Dun dun dun

Tamar's before the council again. Let's see how that goes.

Xoxo
Jasmine