Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Forty Three

Chapter 43

"Is she or any of us not allowed to leave here?"

"People rarely leave, but we are allowed to. Zuri leaving, is actually a personal problem for my dad. He and Dame Josie don't get along at all. I think Zuri's doing this to get back at dad. And it's working. If I tell him that I want to step down, he won't take it well. It happened once, and he—"

"Wait. You've stepped down before?"

"No. I j—"

Zuri burst into the room. "Finally, I've been looking for you two. It's so exhausting."

Levi asked. His face looked drawn. "What's up, Zuri?"

Zuri rolled her eyes. "Dad wants to see you. He's acting way over the edge. You should calm him down. You always seem to know how to do that."

Levi sighed, then looked at me. "We're not done talking, but I'll be back".

I nodded at him, and watched him drag his feet out.

Turning at me, Zuri gave me one of her rare serious look. "Now that he's gone, WE need to talk."

I cocked my head to the side, wondering what she wanted to say. "I'm listening."

Zuri started. "Well I'm leaving the Clandestine and—"

"I already know that."

Zuri glared. "Let me finish. Anyway, my dad tried to bribe me to stay, by assigning me as the African Rep. of the Strikers Unit. That obviously didn't work, because I'm not interested in staying. Ever. So I told him that I was reassigning you as the African Rep. I have the power to do that, so congratulations. You're now on the council."

"Are you crazy? Why would you do that? Are you trying to piss your father off even more?"

"Maybe I am crazy, but I trust you. I can't think of any other replacement, but you. Most of all, I need you to protect Levi. He's cracking. ALOT. I can see it, and he needs you on his side, no more than ever. He needs an ally on the council, because I'm concerned that Aliyah's going to try to overthrow him. I know it's a crazy thing to make you do, but I'm so desperate right now."

I sighed. "I guess I have no choice then. You made a valid point. I'll do it, but I've got to ask. Do you really have to go? It's going to cause a ruckus, if you do."

Zuri folded her arms. "I need to. I don't know if you can understand, but I don't need Vikram Caden anymore. He only took me in, as a favor to my late parents. I always wanted to live with Dame Josie, since I lost my family. She always saw a potential in me, and I want to tap into that. This is something I need to do. It's the worst timing, but it needs to be done. Being here, made me realize that Vikram Caden won't let me breathe, as long as I'm his daughter, and I knew I needed to cut him loose. He has the thing he tells us. Trust nobody but each other. He was talking about us Caden's. I don't want that kind of pressure. Levi's the only one that can handle it. Not me."

I didn't know what to say, but I could tell that she needed the emotional support. So I offered her a small smile, and pulled her into a small side hug. "I hope you know what you're doing."

"I'm hoping so too."

"Promise to stay out of trouble."

Zuri teased. "No promises there."

I cracked a smile, then sobered up almost immediately. "When would you be gone?"

"Tomorrow morning."

My eyes widened. "That soon?"

Zuri shrugged. "As it should be."

"I'm going to miss the Cladenstine's best seamstress."

Her smile turned soft. "I'm going to miss the Cladenstine's bad ass fighter."

"I'm not badass."

"Trust me, you are. It takes a lot to do the things you've done."

"It's not like I have a choice anymore. Some things are just meant to be done."

Giving me a half smirk, her eyes looked content."Take care, Tammy. I know you won't disappoint."

.......

It didn't take long for the party to end, and all the invited adults had gone back to wherever they came from. The rest of us ended up removing the decorations and putting the hall back in order, but somehow, I let my eyes skim through the room for any sign of Levi. I hadn't seen him since the time he left Zuri and I, and his unusual disappearance was unsettling.

"Why do you look so tense?" I blinked at Oge, and forced a smile, when she asked.

"I'm good, but I should be the one asking all the questions. I saw you dancing with T.J. How did that happen?"

Her lips twisted into a frown. Uh-,oh. Something must have gone oh-so wrong, from the look on her face. "I was the one who asked him to dance. I was going to confess my feelings, but while we danced, he seemed far less interested in me, and more interested in what was happening around the party. It was like dancing to a brick wall. Note to self, I'm done having unrequited love completely. Oge and T.J's love story's never going to exist, and it sucks so bad."

I pouted. "I'm so sorry about that. What do you want to do now?"

Oge shrugged. "What else am I going to do? Move on with my damn life. This Clandestine still needs me, and I still have to work hard to prove my worth around here, so that's my focus now."

"The things we do for the Clandestine, and no one appreciates it."

"Welcome to the real world, hon. A world where, even the most worthy still have to prove their worth. That's just life."