Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Thirty eight

Chapter 38

Whatever call he made with his dad, made him recluse that moment. He lost interest in talking and just kept to himself. At this moment, it was hard not to dislike Vikram Caden. He knew the buttons to push, if he wanted his son to do his bidding. Levi already had anxiety to deal with, he didn't need any more form of suffocation in his life.

So I did what I always did. I let myself understand his position. I walked myself back to my room, when Laurena's haughty voice made me halt. "Tamar."

"Yes?"

"I'm bored. Let's spar."

I gaped at her. Was she going insane?? "I'll rather sit this one out."

She folded her arms. Her beautiful face held a questioning look. "Afraid that I'll win?"

"Only concerned about why you want to use me as a punching bag."

"Fine. I'll ask someone else."

I rolled my eyes. I had no idea why I felt the need to befriend her. I blame Levi for that. "Come on. Let's go."

She smirked slightly, as we walked through the halls, and entered the dojo.

She tightened her fists. "Great. Let's start."

"Wait. People only do this, to let out stress. Are you stressed out?"

"You talk too much."

"Is it about Red?"

Her jaw ticked. I must have struck a nerve. She always seemed so sensitive when it came to matters about Red. "Shut the hell up and let's get to it."

She threw the first punch and I twisted her arm around. I took the swift opportunity to flip her over and sat on top of her "Are you ready to talk?"

Her lips curled up. "Not in the slightest", then she kicked me and twisted my wrist to the back. It made a cracking sound and had me groaning in pain.

I stood up and swore. I shouldn't have started any of this with a psychopath like her. I didn't expect her to be so violent. She already had years of training. All I had was only a damn couple of months. Of course she'd kick my ass. "I'm done. I'm not doing this again."

"That's a weak thing to say."

"You broke my wrist, you psycho."

"Oge can fix it up."

"I don't know the hell that's wrong with you, but I'm sure it's not only my hand that needs fixing."

She stiffened. "Fuck off."

"I should have." I got my ass out of the dojo, and decided to get my wrist checked. My wrist got broken thanks to two things. Laurena and my stupidity. I should have stayed the hell away from her. We shared a room, but we were oh so different.

I ran into Red, and couldn't help groaning, when he called my name. "What?"

"Have you seen Laurena? I knocked on your room's door, but I don't think anyone's in."

"Check the damn dojo. I'm sure she'd be busy breaking people's hands."

His pale handsome face looked puzzled. "huh?"

"Keep your girlfriend out of my way, could you do that for me?"

"Tell me what she did first."

"It doesn't matter. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm just pissed today and I'm taking it out on you. You don't deserve that." I sighed. I knew I was pissed at Laurena, but Red didn't need my aggression. That's Laurena's forte.

"Whatever Laurena did, I'm sorry about it. She just got news that her mom's dead. I don't know why I'm telling you any of this, I just think you should know. "

"Shit. I should go back and apologize to her."

He seemed slightly amused. "She must have done something shitty, so you apologizing would be a little off."

"I just don't what to do. She seems really upset. I thought it was about you."

"She's actually just furious. She's angry that her mother died, just before she had the chance to show them how happy she is. Her parents were the worst. They practically hid her from the world and th-"

"I already know about that." I admitted. I knew all about how they hid her from the world and how ashamed they were, of her existence.

"Well, she's been waiting for the opportunity to see them. Both of them. To show them how she had found a life, after running away from them. Now she had only one left. And she wanted to do that when she turned 21."

"I couldn't even imagine what she went through."

"The most ironic part is that, she's also heartbroken by the death. Her mom was awful to her, but she was still her mom and it was hard to lose that. She grew up having no one, so those psychos were all she had."

"Thank you for telling me this. I just wish she could open up to me, then I wouldn't feel so angry at her."

Red chuckled. "Don't ever imagine that happening. Laurena's Laurena. A whole bowl of complications. You can't start unwrapping it. It's who she is."

"And you still love her?"

"With my whole heart. When you meet someone you connect with, you've got to look past what you don't understand and let yourself see who the person really is. Laurena can be grumpy, angry, reclusive or just plain savage, but she's still the one that makes my heart skip a damn beat. What more could an eighteen year old need?"

I couldn't help smiling, and a part of me could relate to it. Levi was the one person in the world that seemed insane to fall for. He didn't want to let himself like me, because he feared that it would affect his job. No one but Levi Caden, could ever think like that. He was the curly haired selfless boy I fell for and I knew I needed to accept what he wanted, no matter how much it hurt.