Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter four

Chapter four

Both vans were packed in front of a bus stop. We were surrounded by recently grazed open land, with withered brown vast area of weeds. The bus stop was an isolated one. Not one vehicle was in sight. I felt at ease knowing there was no way we'd be found. We all stood outside our vans and Levi spoke on the phone. "Where the hell are you?"

"Right here, bro." We all whirled around to the voice of the person speaking. There he stood, Odell Caden, wearing a guarded look on his face. He was tall. Slightly taller than Levi, and had quite a slim build. Wispy black hair was mussed in place, with a stubble of beard that trailed from his cheek, all the way to his chin. His orange eyes were dark, and he looked between our faces, and finally landed his gaze on Levi.

Levi stared at him for a while, then retorted. "So where's the place? I'm sure it isn't here."

Odell quipped. "Good to see you too, bro."

"I'm not in the mood for any jokes."

Odell sighed. "Fine. The road isn't accessible to those who don't know it, so I'd have to take you there."

He then looked between the faces of people he knew, then tried to give a smile. "Hey guys."

Laurena grunted. "Get in the van. We don't have all day."

.....
We stopped in front of what looked like an abandoned warehouse, and began to unload our luggages.

Odell said. "Wait here. Let me get Kiitan."

Red cocked his head. "Who's that?"

"Our interim leader."

"Leader?"

"Yeah. Of the Runaway Radiants."

Mubarak blinked. "The what?"

Odell smirked. "What? You thought the Strikers were the only secret Radiant underground group. It's a place to house Radiants who can't afford the expenses of our lifestyle. It's for both old and young. It isn't as fancy and luxurious as the Clandestine, but it's our home away from home."

Levi frowned. "Too bad it doesn't exist anymore."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. I heard on the news and I know how—"

Levi stiffened. "Trust me, you of all people have no idea."

Odell sighed yet again. I had no idea what type of siblings they were to each other, but I couldn't help feeling bad for both brothers. What ever they both had to go through changed something in what they were. "I'll be back in a second."

Once he was out of earshots, Laurena grunted. "I still can't believe we're doing this."

Red gave her a look. "We're desperate now. It's the least we can do."

Laurena glared. "But can we trust him?"

"I know you're mad that he left Evelyn all alone to raise Trinity, but Evelyn forgave him. You should too." I watched them interact and I instantly remembered the name "Evelyn". That was her former best friend that left for the main council.

Laurena shrugged.

Levi frowned. "Let's just get this over with. Be friendly. Interact with them. We need them to save our people. We need their trust."

Lyra looked at him. "What's your game plan?"

"You'll find out soon enough."

Mubarak muttered. "Odell's here."

Odell walked out of the building with three men beside him. I could already make out who Kiitan was. There was something about him, that made me know he was the leader. I had to say, he was handsome, and he clearly knew that, seeing the way he was smiling cockily at us. Golden oak skin helped to add to his good looks, alongside his short dark hair, strong jawline and sandstone eyes.  I immediately found myself getting annoyed by his presence. I wasn't a fan of arrogant people, and Kiitan seemed to top the chart.

Odell spoke up. "This is Kiitan. Our leader."

Kiitan smirked. "I'm only an interim, until my uncle is hale and hearty enough to take over again. I never imagined having any more Caden here, especially one that came in with his bandwagon."

My lips thinned. "We're not anyone's bandwagon."

Levi shot me a look, and Kiitan laughed. "You're a feisty one, aren't you? What's your name?"

I wanted to tell him kiss my ass, but Levi clearly had an idea of my intention, and sent me another look. I got the message. I had to be friendly. We needed them. "Tamar."

He cocked his head. "Rare name. What tribe are you from?"

"Yoruba, but my name's Hebrew."

He only nodded, and faced his direction to the others. "Non bandwagon, welcome. Follow us in. My vices would help you with your stuff, until then, can I have a word with you, Levi?"

Levi nodded, and Kiitan gave another smirk. "Good. Let's go to my office. Though it looks more like a storage closet now."

Odell hollered. "I'll take the rest of you in." Then he lowered his voice to talk to Laurena, when we entered inside. "I need to tell you something."

Laurena rolled her eyes. "What could you possibly tell me that could catch my interest?"

"It's about—"

"Evelyn?" Eyes widened, Laurena stopped in her tracks, when she spotted someone walking afar.

I was surprised just as well. I didn't know Evelyn, but I knew of her. Everyone did. Former African Representative and Laurena's best friend, and now as I just found out, Odell's baby mama. It was common knowledge that Evelyn was transferred to the main council, so why the hell was she here? 

The fury in Laurena's eyes told me what I needed to know. Things weren't going end well one bit.