Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter six

Chapter six

"What's up with you?" Laurena quipped.

I glared. "Why do you care?"

"I don't. I can just read how miserable you look. It's not a good look on you. Trust me, that's not concern either."

"Levi broke up with me." I didn't know why I admitted it. Maybe because all my friends were gone, and I had no one to talk to. Both of us were all alone in our shared room, and I found myself opening up to the world's coldest person.

I expected her to say something snarky or rude, but instead her face wore a twinge of sympathy. "So what are you going to do now?"

"I have to move on. I have no other choice."

"That quickly?"

It wasn't like I could turn off my feelings. I knew he loved me, and I did too, but he needed this for his mental health. Especially since he's working so hard to get back our abducted friends. "That's what's best for both of us."

"Do you know why?"

I nodded. "I do."

"Does it bother you?"

"I'd be a monster if I said that it didn't, but it's what he needs."

Laurena admitted. "I'd be torn apart if Red left me."

"I doubt that happening. He insanely loves you."

Laurena sighed. "I know. I'd never doubt that. I just depend on him a whole lot. He's my rock through my moody problems."

"You're his, too. I've always admired what you two have."

Laurena admitted yet again. She was definitely not seeing me as the enemy now. "We started off hating each other, and surprisingly fell in love along the way."

"And now you two are major goals."

Laurena chuckled, then paused to look at me with soulful doe eyes. "I don't hate you, you know."

"I know. You're just crazy. Super crazy." I admitted, with a smile.

"I guess I am. I'm not a nice person. It's not me. It's  not my nature. I'm not ashamed of that and I certainly won't change it to please anyone.  I do have to apologize for my actions in the past. I just took out my frustration on you. You didn't deserve that. I just hated having someone else, aside from Evelyn as a room mate. She meant a lot to me, and it felt like I was replacing her. Only now, I just realized that she didn't deserve it."

"Just hear her out. Let her at least explain. Give her the benefit of th—"

Laurena glared at me. "Both of us are finally on good terms. Don't ruin it."

Okay, mean Laurena was back. I wasn't ready for any of that. "Noted."

Kemi entered the room. "Get up you two. Kiitan needs to see us."

Laurena grunted. "What, now?"

Kemi smirked. I couldn't even fathom what was making her amused. "What else? To prove our worth."

......
"I'm sorry if I interrupted your privileged asses, but we have work to do." Kiitan spoke, deepening his voice for emphasis.

Levi narrowed his eyes. "Just go straight to the point."

Kiitan chuckled. "Easy there. Remember that I'm the leader here. Not you. You should try keeping that in mind."

Levi didn't reply. I couldn't help feeling concerned. Levi turned his head, and his gaze lingered on me for a while, before he looked away.

Kiitan continued to talk. "We've been more than generous letting you stay. In fact, it took a lot of convincing on my part, for my uncle to even accept fourteen extra desperate mouths, under such short notice, considering the circumstances you're under right now." He paused to look between our bored faces, before he said. "The energy pump we use and the food we eat doesn't fall from the sky. Aside from the food we provide from our farms, we get them ourselves."

I looked at him. "What exactly are you saying?"

He smirked. "You guys have to steal to survive."

Levi blinked. "But we brought enough food when we came." Not just food, we also brought clothes and energy tanks that we could need, but Kiitan didn't look impressed.

"You did, but it would only last for a week. To survive here, you have to live like we do. How do you think we get by? We don't have rich sponsors like you people do."

Levi grimaced. "But stealing's a little —"

"Too much for you to handle, rich boy? Then take your leave."

Laurena growled. "You don't have to be a dick about it."

Kiitan shrugged. "I call it as it is. We're the ones making some sacrifices. You should too."

Levi folded his arms. His voice went low. "Fine. What do you want us to steal?"

Kiitan showed a peek of a smile. "Pretty simple stuff. Just some parts we need to create our own energy turbo machines, and you guys are also going to help us make it." I swallowed. Life here would truly be miles apart from our time in the Clandestine. And I wasn't fond of it already.