Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Forty Two

Chapter 42

I choked. "What are you even talking about?"

Dame Josie sighed in relief, at my shocked reaction. "Thank God it's not true then. We've enough of all these nonsense around here."

"Well of course it's not true. Who would say such nonsense?"

"I'd rather not intrude in som—"

My voice turned still. I didn't like to be made a fool of. Especially in regards to my personal life. "You already started intruding, so you might as well finish it up."

Dame Josie's jaw ticked. "I understand that you're upset, but you should learn to control yourself, and put that anger in the right direction."

I blinked at her, then sighed. "I apologize. I'm just so—"

"I understand. Rumors have a way of weakening of a part of your soul."

I looked at her carefully. "I take it that you've had your fair share of rumors."

She wore a faraway look on her beautiful face. "When you're a 52 year old trapped on the body of a woman in her twenties, you get to hear a lot of crazy stories people whisper to each other, behind your back."

My words came out as a whisper. "How is it like? Looking this young and being so old."

"It's a blessing and a curse. I wouldn't want to bore you with those details, I had to learn to live with it overtime."

I decided not to intrude, and instead inquired. "Is it Aliyah?"

"That?"

"Spread the rumors."

"That's quite an accusation, Tamar."

"She's the only one that has something against Levi."

"Don't be so sure about that. Aliyah's my foster daughter, so I know her well enough. Whoever that did this is petty. That's one thing Aliyah isn't."

"I used to think that too, but you haven't seen the version of who she is, like I have. Whoever you knew has changed. Or it could be a diversion. A cover up for her grand scheme. To whatever she has in mind."

"It's important to have proof backing up everything you're saying. Instead of plain speculations."

"Then I'll get that."

"Be careful. I know you want to protect Levi however you can, but don't let it drag you down, along the way."

"Stop making it seem about Levi. I got dragged into this lie too. Now I have to defend myself and my honor, because of this. The person wants chaos, then I'll let it rain all over them."

...,.

"Did you do it?" Aliyah's eyes coolly linked with mine, when I asked. Her arms crossed and her lips were pulled in a tight line. She was huddled together with her posse of friends, and were all sipping their glasses of white wine.

Aliyah answered. "You'd have to be more specific at what you're insinuating."

"I understand that you hate Levi, but this is low, even for you."

Aliyah rolled her eyes "What the bloody hell are you talking about?"

"You have no right to—"

"Stop it, Tamar." Levi's low voice had me whirling around. He looked very angry, and that wasn't a sight I was used to. His fists were clenched tightly, as he uttered each word sharply.

Aliyah smiled slyly at me. "Don't you have something to say to me, or are you going to let Levi tell you what to do now?"

"Are you purposely trying to piss me off? I think you are and it's not going to—"

Levi held my hand gently. He shook his head and locked his eyes with mine. Amber-orange eyes looked pleading, and it made me rethink my actions. "Let's go. She's not worth it."

I squeezed his hand gently and gave him a small nod. "Okay, but we really need to talk."

Aliyah smirked "So you're going to go. Just like that. Feelings really make you weak. You're too weak for a leader, Levi. You've always been weak. You, of all people, know that. It's pathetic."

Juan scoffed. "Fuck off, Aliyah and get an actual hobby, instead of bitching around at a public event."

I didn't wait to hear the rest of the argument. I took Levi's hand that was gripping mine, and led him to an empty room.

"Did you know about the rumour?" That was the only thing I needed to know, once we had our privacy.

"Just now. From my dad, he's really furious. He thinks I can't control the people under me and he has quite a lot to worry about."

I looked at him warily. "I have a feeling you have something more to tell me."

"I can't resign as the leader just yet. With all the things going on right now, I don't want to cause him more pain. He almost had a heart attack today and—"

"I can't believe this."

Levi looked exasperated. "Why are you getting upset with me for? I thought you wanted me to keep being the leader. Isn't that why you were hesitant to answer me, when I told that I wanted to step down earlier?"

"I wanted you to do something for yourself. For you to be the leader for YOU, and not your dad. He really has you wrapped around his finger, doesn't he? And it's something I can't help change. I see that now."

"I know it sounds crappy, but he has enough on his plate already."

I rolled my eyes "So he heard a rumor. That's the big deal?"

"That's not the only problem. Zuri's leaving the Clandestine. Completely. She has made up her mind to live with Dame Josie and her foster daughters, and it's causing quite a stir here. That's why he came."