Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Forty Nine

Chapter 49

"I was thinking we could have a sleep over, before you go for your meeting tomorrow." Oge inquired.

"What do you mean by "my meeting"? Aren't you coming?"

"I can't. I have an unavoidable surgery that I've been prepping for, in the morning. I've already informed Levi, and my vice, Mubarak, is going in my place. I'm so sorry, Tamar."

I shrugged. "It's okay. It's important that you let that come first."

Kel questioned me. "How long would you be gone again?"

"Two days. We'd be having it in the capital, and I'm kinda excited. Is it weird that I am?"

Kel snorted. "Not really. It'd be nice to see the real world, rather than being stuck down here."

I squeezed her hand softly, and Oge rolled her eyes. "The real world isn't as kind as you think it is."

"They murdered my dad, so I should know." We both looked at Kel, whose face darkened, as she spoke.

After a long moment of silence, I quickly said, trying my best to dissipate the awkwardness. "The sleepover thing sounds pretty good. We can do it in my room."

Kel shook her head. "No offense, but I don't like being in the same room with Laurena. She scares me, so I usually just avoid her."

"She's not so bad."

Oge scoffed. "Even you don't sound convinced. If it's that much of an issue, we can have it in my room."

I chuckled. "You don't have a TV in there. Sorry, but no."

Oge shrugged "A television is a soul sucking device, that turns its viewers into mindless people. I'm just saving myself from the worst."

Kel laughed. "Oh my God, you sound like you're 90. We'll just have it in my room. There's a TV and no evil room mate. Problem solved."

...
Daylight crawled across the sky, and morning came hastily. I had abandoned my sleeping friends, to get ready for today's journey. I dressed myself in my regular monochrome outfit and pulled my hair into a high bun. I stared at my face in the mirror, and sighed. Coral eyes stared back at me. My eyes looked a little droopy, almost like I wasn't getting enough sleep, which was quite unusual, because I was sleeping well. I shrugged it off, and headed to the cafeteria for breakfast.

While I was eating my plain breakfast, mainly of white oats, just the way I like it; and Aliyah sat next to me.

I stared at her, looking clearly bewildered, and she sent me an undecipherable smirk. "Hey there."

I recomposed myself immediately. "What do you want?"

"I just got bored, and decided to sit next to you."

"Are you sure you're not here to gloat about being the interim leader, while we are away? Just remember. It's only temporary."

She winked at me. "Don't be so sure about that."

I stiffened. "What do you mean by that?"

"I have waited too long for this, but I've already requested for an election, from the Global Council. No more compulsory leadership by controlling powerful men."

Shock eroded me. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because there's nothing you can do about it. It's already in motion, so I decided to tell you before you become surprised when it happens. I finally have the chance to have an equal chance, like I deserve."

"Do you think it would work? Vikram Caden would never agree to it."

"It's still worth trying. That's why I'm telling people. Just in case it fails because of his father, then an uprising wouldn't be too surprising to Levi, when it happens."

I grunted. "You're a bitter soul. You know how well Levi deserves it."

Aliyah smiled coyly. "I'm done letting the Cadens decide for us. We are people too. I earned it, and I've been very patient. It's my chance to strike."

"Well good luck with that." I stood up from the table, and went looking for Levi.

I met him getting things ready for our journey, then I quickly pulled him aside, from everyone else. "I need to tell you something."

Levi's eyes had bags under them. His hands were thrust in his pockets, and he looked unusually glum. "Is it important? I'm a little busy."

I paused, to touch his cheeks. "Are you okay? You don't look so good."

"I'm fine. Couldn't sleep a wink. Tell me what you have to say. I know you're here for that."

"Aliyah has requested for an election between you and her, to the Global council. She's very confident that everything would work in her favor."

"I know already, but it's fine."

"No it's not, she's gone stark mad. You have to fight back."

Levi's face turned frank. "I am doing that. I need you to trust me."

"Why do I have a feeling that you won't tell me what you have in mind?"

He pecked my cheek. "Let's just worry about the meeting first, then we'd concern ourselves with her grand plan later."

I narrowed my eyes. "You don't seem worried about Aliyah. Only something else."

His voice turned dark. "This meeting is mostly about our evaluation as a district so far. With all the things that have happened this past months, I'm a lot more concerned about that."