Radiant (Vol. I) - Chapter sixteen

Chapter 16
The van parked discreetly behind some bushes where I sat alone in boredom. Levi, Miriam and Wale waited behind bushes, closer to the main road.

My eyes flashed in anger when I recognized two black lorries driving forward. It was the exact brand of lorry that the security enforcers always rode and my other team mates seemed to notice it too, from where they hid.

Wale leaned back and dragged his bow slightly. His eyes narrowed when he found his target, and struck his metal arrow at one of the lorry's tyre. He struck his arrow, yet again at the next lorry behind it. I still found his exception to be quite exhilarating. He had the perfect aim, and chose a weapon he worked well with. A bow and arrow.

The black lorries stopped midway, obviously because of the deflated tyres and my team mates came out from where they hid.

Levi spoke, facing his handgun at the lorry. "I think it's better you just hand over the radiant, so we don't end up hurting any one of you"

The driver of the lorry pulled his head out. "Over my dead body."

Levi's lips curled up. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Get out of the way, kid."

Levi's face hardened. Being called a "kid" must have annoyed the hell out of him. He motioned to Wale who shot an arrow at another tyre of the lorry in front.

That seemed to agitate the security enforcers as the driver and five other security enforcers darted out of the lorries. They pulled out their guns and aimed at Levi.
Everything happened so quickly and I struggled to catch up to what I was seeing. Shots were fired, before any security officers could react, knocking them down. Miriam came out of where she was and blew out the smoke emitted from her shotgun.

The other security officers still standing, looked frightened. The driver cursed. "Damn you radiants."

Wale shot an arrow at the driver's right leg, knocking him down. Wale muttered in disdain. "He talks too much."

Miriam giggled and sent him a thumbs up, which Wale returned with a wry smile.

Levi signalled to them. "Check around for any security enforcer hiding around any mile radius."

Miriam and Wale said simultaneously. "Yes sir" and both moved in different directions. Levi looked around, tightening the grip of his handgun and slowly moved around.

I watched in awe, how their operation ran and searched around, watching all their movement. My eyes immediately caught something moving under the lorry. I squinted my eyes and noticed a security enforcer dragging himself out, underneath the lorry. He had a hard look on his face and faced his gun towards one direction. Levi. Adrenaline pumped through my body and I immediately grabbed the first gun I saw. A revolver. Perfect. I hurriedly jumped out of the van and raced to where they were.

Levi turned around, when he saw me drawing closer. "What the hell are you—"

Not giving him time to finish speaking, I cocked the revolver in my hand and fired a clear leg shot at the Security officer, who was springing out from where he hid. The shot thundered around the place and blood dripped warmly from his injured leg. I made another shot at his other leg, disarming him completely and sending him on the ground. The security officer cried out in pain and I turned my gaze back to Levi's astonished face.

He stuttered. "How- how did you do that?"

I dropped the gun in my hand and let myself fall on the ground in shock. A shiver ran down my spine when I realized what I had done. I shot someone. Twice. Ruthlessly and unsympathetically. Oh God. I felt a form of anxiety building through my chest. I gripped my chest and began to feel breathless. I knew what was happening instantly. I was having a panic attack.

Levi dashed to where I sat and cradled my face in his palm. Despite my breathlessness, I let my eyes search through his. I could see fear and confusion in them, as he whispered to me. "Are you okay?"

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths slowly. Counting up to five, like I always did, my eyelids fluttered open and caught Levi's worried look. His eyebrows drew closely and let go my face, repeating his question. "Are you okay?"

Was I okay? I didn't know. My eyes trailed to where the man I shot, groaning silently in pain. I flitted my eyes back to Levi's face and couldn't help the uncontrollable hysterical laughter bubbling in my chest. I threw my head back laughing, as tears flowed freely from my face. Levi sent me a quizzical look while I laughed. Maybe, I was going crazy after all. I had no idea why I was laughing, but somehow it was the only emotion I could express at the moment.

My laughter ended, when I saw Miriam and Wale coming forward. They held perplexed looks when they saw me, but chose not to question my sanity.

Wale stated. "I'll call 911 for the security enforcers"

Levi smiled at me, pulling me up. His eyes looked really tired. "You're one crazy girl", then turned his head to Wale "Hold on. Let's get the radiant first."

We all headed to the boot of the lorry and pulled the hood open. A young girl curled up in a corner, held a panic-stricken look on her face.

Levi coaxed quietly. "Come over. We're here to save you"

The girl looked at all our faces and murmured. "You're all radiants."

"Yes. We are." Her gaze fixed to mine, when I spoke.

"Where would you take me to?" She asked, in a soft hushed voice.

"Somewhere safe. For all of us. Do you have any family?" Levi inquired.

The girl's scared face instantly changed to a grave look. "Not anymore."

We looked between each other and looked back at the girl. Levi took steps in and pulled out his hand. "Welcome to our family, then. I'm Levi."

The girl had a demur look, but then took Levi's hand as he took her out of the lorry. "Ekele, but you can call me Kel."

I examined the girl as she followed us to the van. Petite. Short dark hair braided into cornrows. Big tangerine-orange eyes. Medium skin tone. Tiny lips. She didn't look as young as I thought she was. Her petite figure seemed to conceal her real age, but her eyes revealed years of experience and youth.

After Wale made a voice-modulated anonymous call to the police, we eventually took our leave and headed home.