Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter twenty

Chapter twenty
Once we were able to convince Kiitan, who reluctantly agreed, but he wasn't done yet. He wanted to have a conversation with me.
If Kiitan thought he could convince me to do otherwise, then he didn't know me as much as he claimed to.

I folded my arms. "What's the problem?"

Kiitan glared. "This whole thing is a problem. My uncle—"

"If you're so worried about what your uncle thinks, then take him to us. We'll convince him."

"Whatever methods you think you want to try, just know that it won't work. Blackmail doesn't work on my uncle."

"Not blackmail. Just logic. I'm sure your uncle's open to that."

"You guys are way over your heads if you think you can win. What happens next when you release them? Where would you keep them? Don't forget that the council would no longer be on your side."

My voice hardened. "That's for us to worry about. Your job is to help us get them out. If you're that worried, then take us to your uncle. We'll handle it from there."

Kiitan gave a humorless laugh. "You think I'd take you to him? Your overconfidence has caused you to lose a few bolts in your head."

"Whether you take us there or not, we'll find him. Definitely with Vikram Caden's connection. So why not make easier for us, instead of being so dramatic. Besides, I'm sure your uncle would be less pissed to have you take us there, rather than having a Caden uncover his hideout."

The truth was that we couldn't let Vikram Caden know about our plan just yet, so we couldn't risk him looking for Tunde Oye. I was hoping that Kiitan would call my bluff and it seemed to work, judging by the way he gave a frustrated long sigh.

He huffed. "Fine. I'll take you to him tomorrow." Then he mumbled to himself. "This is probably the last time I'd let a Caden in my vicinity again."

I did feel bad for him and a part of me cared for him. It almost seemed that we were controlling his decisions as a leader,  but this was no longer a chance for sympathy. This was our chance to fight back.

*******
Lyra grinned, while we we're quietly having dinner in our little room. "So tell us everything. It seems like you and Levi are together again."

I wished I could give them details. Any kind of information, but I had sworn to secrecy. My loyalties were now tied to the Cadens and I never imagined things turning out this way. "It just kind of happened. He got sick. I took care of him. He got better. We hooked up. We're back together."

Laurena looked doubtful. "What type of sickness knocks a person out like that?  I saw the whole thing. It was pretty scary. I thought he was dead."

I fidgeted with the spoon in my hand. "Please don't remind me too. It was pretty traumatic."

That annoying Kemi decided to butt in. "I find it pretty strange. He first got shot months ago, though he has fast reflexes, and now he collapsed. Is there something you're not telling us?"

Ada rolled her eyes. "This is no time to play devil's advocate"

Kemi gaped. "Are you really taking their side? We're Aliyah's sup—"

"I understand Aliyah's belief, but have you ever wondered why she does it?"

"Are you doubting her now? After everything she's done."

Ada sighed. "I'm just done taking sides. I don't care about Aliyah or Levi. I just want to get my friends and go back home."

I reassured her. "That's our number one priority. Always."

Nodding, she said. "Then that's what I'm fighting for. I'm tired of this division."

Kemi admitted, after a long pause. "I don't think our lives can ever get back to normal. I want to go back to when I was just sixteen. A time when I was crushing on boys,  getting yelled at, and worrying about books."

It was a surprising sight to see Kemi become vulnerable, but when Laurena muttered. "I don't get why anyone can hate us so much, just because of what we are", then I realized how broken we all were. We were all just caught up in a scary world and were too hurt to admit it.

"I'm not going to stop trying, until we survive this." I firmly said.

Lyra nodded. "I know you would. Thank you for being brave for the rest of us."

I chuckled. "Being brave? I don't think I am. I'm always going to keep being afraid through every point. We're taking a risk, but it's better than sitting back."

Laurena joked. "Now I see why Levi keeps you around."

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help smiling. "You do love ruining moments, don't you?" '

Laurena's eyes danced with amusement. "At least it's better to take a risk, than sitting back."

We all softly chuckled. Ada admitted. "Who would have that thought that an unusual situation would bring us together. We don't hate each other as we used to."

Kemi grunted. "Unfortunately."

I had to agree. When I first came, I wouldn't have pictured being on a friendly note with the volatile Laurena. I never thought I'd see her joke or laugh or even become emotionally available, but it has already become a normal sight now. I guess life does bring out a person in the most unexpected ways.