Chapter 24

" found anything? " Jacob asked flipping through some files.

" not yet. " Carl said keeping back the folder in his hand.

They both were rummaging the folders kept on the shelf in the record room.

Doorknob twisted and Ariana stepped in the same room. On seeing her Carl quickly hid the file in his hand behind his back and Jacob dropped the file on seeing her.

" what are you guys doing here? " she locked the door behind her.

" this question might turn back to you. " Jacob mouthed and stared her for an answer.

" I was looking for you both so Sussan told that you were here here. "

" we told her not to tell anyone. " Carl scowled.

" well, I still didn't got the answer. " she shot some serious glances at them

" we were...just......dusting. this place is full of dirt. " Carl stammered.

" yeah. " Jacob brushed off the dust from the shelf with his hands " you must scold the workers for not keeping it clean."

" really. " she folded her arms against her chest.

" do you think we are lying. "

Ariana raised her eyebrows at them. She knew they were hiding something. The reason they are giving was not the one.

" fine. " Carl placed the file he hid behind accepting his defeat " When you didn't believe what we told you about Kevin then we decided...... "

" to check through the files of the prisoners. " Jacob continued " to find if there's any run away prisoner named Kevin Haycraft. "

" I'm here to talk about Kevin only. " she placed the book in her hand on the table.

" what? " they chorused.

" this is the requirement book. " she stated.

They both exchanged glances and shrugged " we know. "

" I found this on Kevin's bookshelf. "

" really! " Jacob exclaimed widening his eyes.

" it's already been clear when he shot the spell earlier and now this. He is probably up-to something. " Carl said.

" I don't know. " she sighed

" Ani isn't all these enough to suspect him? " Jacob questioned.

" It is."  she paused and then continued "  but I don't want to believe this. "  she rubbed the back of her neck.

" I know it's hard Ani but you can't ignore the truth. "

" yeah. " she said in a discontented  tone " well I've called Kevin's Aunt. Maybe I could gram somethibg from her. "

" that's good. " Carl nodded.

_________________

" Water. " Ariana placed the glass  on the coffee table in Kevin's living room.

" Aunt Hayden I would have picked you up if you have informed me. " Kevin said sitting on the couch beside his aunt.

" your girlfriend called me. She wanted to give you a surprise. " Aunt Hayden smiled at Ariana.

" thanks Ani. It's been a really long time I haven't met her. "

" I think you are lucky to have her and she is pretty too. She care so much about you. "

Ariana beamed a smile and blushed and sneaked glances with Kevin.

" yes she is. " Kevin secretly winked at Ariana and she smuggled a smiled. Kevin said turning to his Aunt " Aunt Hayden. How long will you be staying. "

" three four days. " she answered.

" good. " he grinned " Ariana you know when I lost my family she took care of me. She may not be my real mother but I love her more than my mom. "

" but your mom loved you so much. You were her favorite.  " Aunt Hayden stated.

" I know. She..... "

" Kevin. " Ariana cut in " go and buy some vegetables for dinner. I've looked in your fridge and you are out of it. "

" okay. "

" until you are back I'll talk to Aunt Hayden. "  she leapt from the arm on which she was slouched on the couch beside his Aunt " and listen all your childhood stories. "

" I'm gonna tell you the funniest one. " Aunt Hayden smiled " it's about his tenth Halloween....."

" no. Not that one. " Kevin broke in.

" you shut up. Go and buy the vegetables and leave us alone. " she gestured him to go away with her hands and he snapped out shooting a glare at them.

" continue Aunt Hayden. "

" where were we. " she scratched her forehead " yeah about Halloween. His friends Luan and Tim pranked him by secretly entering into his room from the window. Kevin was sleeping and they turned off the lights of his room and and then they started making sounds like crying and yelling which woke him up. He was so scared and he quickly ran to my room yelling crying and yelling my name. When I opened my door he held me I felt really bad and then his friendscame out after him giggling. "  

"why he didn't want you to tell me this story?  "

" because he was so scared that he peed in the bed. " she sniggered.

" oh." she smiled

After few seconds she put forward a question a serious one " Kevin told he lost his family in a fire. How did that happened? "

" it was a short circuit and then  the whole house was blazing flames. " she pulled out a napkin from her purse and wiped her tears " Kevin was lucky he was at my house. "

"  he was so young then. "

" yes. " she sniffed.

" I haven't seen any pictures of his family. "

" it was all burnt in that fire. "

" that house is in Lille only? "

" No. We used to live in Strasbourg. We left that place and settled in Lille after that incident "

" yeah. It must be really hard to live in the same city after all that happened. "

" forget about all this tell me something about you. "

" umm....what should I tell ? " she gave a silly smile

" okay. So, do you live in Kevin's house? " she asked.

" No. I live with my dad. " she simpered " sometimes I come here to look after him. "

" you are so caring. "

" thanks. "

______________________

Hello everyone.

I would love to know your thoughts :)

I would really appreciate to have your votes:)

Be save be healthy 🧡