Thirty-Four

Francine was a nice lady. She was an honorary leader in the werewolf community next door, as she was always the first person the mythicals would come to whenever there was an issue regarding the hunters. Due to her title, she tended to remain close to Ryan, allowing their communities to be in a close alliance. Her community was the first he'd call for backup, and vice versa for hers.

Since the two were close for their community's sake, they grew close as friends and would tend to go out once a month for dinner to catch up on non-community related news. Francine leaned against her car in the parking lot to a bar out in her town. She pushed herself off her car as Ryan pulled into the empty spot beside her. The moment he exited the car, he hugged her and began to follow her into the bar.

"How's Henry?"

"He's doing well. Five years old now. He saw my wolf for the first time the other day, and he's super excited to see his once he gets bigger. He hopes to have the same wolf like his mama."

"Was he disappointed to find out he wouldn't?"

"I didn't tell him. Once he can shift, he won't have that mindset anymore. If anything, he'll be more afraid to have the same wolf as me than anything else," she laughed. "Keep it a secret so I can see the look on his face as he panics."

"Aren't you a great mother," he snickered.

"Have you thought any more on becoming a father?"

"No. As you know, my mate's back in town, and she and her fiancée are staying with me. It's thrown off my plans."

"Does Theo know you plan to adopt?"

"I'm not sure if I'm going to yet. I'd love to, but there's an actual chance something might happen between Melissa and I now, and if I can make her my mate, I don't want to throw her into the role of a mother right off the bat."

"What's been going on between you two?"

"Not so much us as Theo and his mate. They kissed earlier today."

Sitting down at a table, she smirked and said, "Go on."

He relayed the story to her, about how it ignited their mate bond and how there might have been something there for a while. "And if they get together, Melissa will be heartbroken. I don't want her to be, but I can't just swoop in right now like a cheeky bastard and tell her who I am. We need to work our way up to that."

"You're such a sweet mate. Very caring," she cooed. "But don't you think she should know as well? You could tell her who you are and let her know that you want to take things slow and work your way up to it. It's exceedingly rare, mostly common among the aromantic wolves, but you two could always be friend soulmates. And if she knows that, it might eliminate the pressures of needing to be your lover."

Ryan could admit that it was a smart idea. He did want her to know, so that when she did feel a strong, emotional bond to him, she would know that he would feel the same way. And he respected the fact that she was demisexual. Once she was ready for the mating process, he would be as well. And if she never wanted to go through the entirety of it, he would not force it. He would be perfectly content with just marking her and never having sex. Whatever she wanted, he would give her.

But he didn't think it would be the smartest route to go down. "I do understand what you're getting at, but think about it from her perspective. The man she planned to spend her life with leaves her for her best friend because they're mates. She's heartbroken, and the I swoop in and am practically saying, 'Hey, I know you're heartbroken about your fiancée leaving you, but it's all cool, because we're soulmates and meant to be together.' She doesn't need to be forced into a relationship with me right after her fiancée leaves her. What she needs is a friend who is going to be there by her side, and I will be that friend for her."