Twenty-Five

Melissa rolled over and faced Lucas. He opened his eyes the moment she locked her eyes on him. He smirked. "What a little creep you are, watching me sleep."

"It's the only time of the day when you're not annoying me."

Feigning hurt, he gasped and flipped the covers off him. "For that, you can shower on your own."

"I already did last night after you fell asleep," she called out as he entered the attached bathroom. "I couldn't fall asleep until I knew they were home."

"What kept them out so late?"

"They were just talking."

He poked his head out of the bathroom, and a sad smile popped on his face as he looked at her. "I'm assuming you also talked with him?"

"I was his rebound," she exhaled. She told Lucas about how she may have been Ryan's mate. If she were his soulmate, it would be a difficult predicament because she loved Lucas. They worked hard to create a life together, and she didn't want to throw it all away just because she was meant to be with someone else.

Smiling giddily, Lucas ran over to bed and hovered above her. He smiled down at her, gazing at her with a sweet glint in his eyes. "I'm so glad you're all mine."

Wrapping her arms around his neck, she forced his head down to kiss her, and he instantly deepened the kiss between them. Pulling away, he hummed happily as he rested his forehead against hers. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too."

Lucas pecked her lips once more before hopping off the bed and walking back into the bathroom. "What are you planning to do today?"

"Probably going to work on my thesis a bit more."

"Will you be at the library?"

"Why not? I heard they have a mythical section there that might have good sources."

"You should ask Ryan to drive you over. Or does he not work there anymore?"

"No, he should still work there." She tapped her chin. "I remember him talking about how much he loved being a librarian. I don't think being an Alpha changed much for him. It's not like he gets paid to run the guild or anything."

"I don't know." He inhaled through his teeth. "He could get paid with knowledge."

"Fuck off," she laughed. Climbing out of bed, she walked into her closet and grabbed a black crop top and her long plaid skirt. As she tied up her boots, she heard the shower turn on, and she walked downstairs to the kitchen.

Theo stood at the counter, chewing on a bagel as he inspected the spreadsheets covering the counter. Someone talked to him through his phone on speaker, and she placed her finger to her lip as he glanced up at her. He smiled and nodded as she opened the fridge.

"How bad was it?" he asked.

"It's broken in eight different places," the voice on the phone said. "I'm getting surgery this Friday, and I'm staying in the hospital until then."

"How long will it take to heal?"

"Two months?"

Cursing under his breath, Theo said, "Do what you have to do to take care of yourself. I'll find a replacement for you."

"Does this mean I'm fired?"

"No," he quickly assured. "There must be someone looking for a job during the holidays who wouldn't mind helping out. You just take care of yourself. Your job will be waiting for you when you come back."