Six

Melissa sat in the same cushioned chair by the front desk just as before. The same book was in front of her face, just as the same glare was reflected in her eyes. It was quite obvious to note how sweet Mr. Darcy and Miss Bennet happened to be together, and she did believe they made the perfect couple. But with the fact that it took twice as long to fully understand what was being said, she couldn't enjoy the book.

"Maybe the next time you read it, it will be better," Ryan commented as he did computer work at the front desk.

"When will I ever read this book again?"

"You don't enjoy reading books multiple times?"

"It's not like I have much time to read in general."

Desperately, he wanted to ask her more about her home life and financial situation. While he may have worked at a library, he was getting his Masters in Library Sciences. Professional librarians could make up to one grand annually. And with his inheritance from his family, it wasn't difficult to pay the bills.

His own father was a roadie for big name bands, and his mom happened to be a famous opera singer. Once he turned seventeen, his parents decided to go back out and tour again, as Ryan knew how to take care of him and his brother. They would come home periodically to spend time with their sons, but for the most part they were gone. He wondered if Melissa knew about that. The next time they came home, he knew he would have to introduce Melissa to them. Not only was she Theo's best friend, but his mate as well. He wanted to give them a proper introduction.

"If you could read any book you've already read again, what would it be?"

Melissa leaned back in the chair, thinking of an answer. "Any book I've already read," she mumbled to herself. "'If I Was Your Girl' by Meredith Russo."

"Oh?" Ryan quickly typed it up in the computer, smirking to himself when he saw in was stocked in the library. "Why that one?"

"It was so beautiful. It's difficult to put into words. It made me cry, and I like it when a book does that."

"You like it when you cry?" he questioned, dumbfounded.

"I like it when something brings out such strong emotions in me that I can't help but cry. When anyone can move me to tears, that's how I know they've done their job right."

"You're the first person I've met who's liked crying," he chuckled.

"Again, it's only because they've moved me so much."

"So if I made you cry, that means I've done my job right?"

"Depends on what you make me cry for," she stated. "I don't cry very easily. I have to be incredibly upset or immensely happy in order to cry."

"Hopefully I can do the second one for you."

"Ryan," Alexa hissed from the back office, but he ignored her as he rolled his chair to the edge of the desk.

Melissa smirked as she lowered the book onto her lap and crossed her arms. "Oh? And how can you do that?"

"My parents are coming back to town next weekend. I know the mall closes at six on Sunday nights. Would you like to come over for dinner?"

"Meet your parents, huh?"

"Ryan, what the hell are you doing?" Alexa whisper-shouted at him. He ignored her once again.

"After what you and Theo said to each other last week, I thought you might like to finally meet our parents. You'd really like them."

"Where have they been?"