Twenty-Eight

"Who would want to eat a cookie with Freddie Mercury's face on it?" Lucas deadpanned as he held up the cookie cutter shaped as the lead singer of Queen.

"That's actually a best seller at these charity events," Theo stated.

"What's the occasion? Aids?"

"Yes."

Sucking in his lips, Lucas began to roll the leftover dough out to cut more cookies. Dripping Drizzles never let dough go to waste. Not until there was such little left that they had to eat it or toss it. "How are you not fat if all you do is eat sweets all day?"

"Because I'm a werewolf who goes running every night for at least an hour, and I also eat right the rest of the day." He smirked at Lucas. "What's your excuse?"

Dramatically gasping, Lucas placed a hand over his chest as he said, "Are you calling me fat?"

"Even if I were, how is that an insult?"

Shrugging, Lucas mumbled, "Fair point," as he stuffed the small ball of dough in his mouth. "And these are going to be good by the end of the week?"

"No, these are going out to the event planners tomorrow to enjoy while they set everything up. They've always been a huge fan of my sugar cookies, and they always want some of their own before the benefit. We're going to need to make more the night before."

"Friday."

"Yes, Friday."

"And you're going to need my help on Saturday?"

"I mean, if you don't mind helping. I can always ask Ryan or Ross-"

"Oh, is it because you gave him more thought on being his companion?" Lucas said, trying to be nonchalant.

Theo sighed. "It's been six hours. I don't want to be thinking about it anymore today. Especially not from you."

"Is there a problem with me getting real with you?"

"No, the problem is that you're engaged. You found someone to love you back. My mate doesn't love me. He loves someone else. I don't have the ability to sit around and wait for someone else to fall in love with. I had one shot at being in love with someone, and that chance is now gone. There's nothing more for you to say or do about it."

"Well, I don't like the idea of you being his companion."

Theo placed a bowl in the sink, unable to look at him. "Oh?"

"I know it sounds weird, but there's this feeling in my chest that makes the idea of you settling for a companion...unsettling to me."

"So you, the man who's getting married, doesn't like the idea of seeing me with someone else?" He smirked as he leaned his back against the sink, his hands firmly placed on either side of him. "I know why."

"Why?" he quickly asked.

"It's so obvious."

"Tell me!"

"You're in love with me."

Lucas stuttered, and Theo caught it. He hesitated before saying, "I'm in love with Melissa. She's my soulmate."

"Is she?"

Lucas smirked and crossed his arms. "Yes. I love her with all my heart."

"Yet you're in love with me," Theo teased as he grabbed Lucas's hands. "Leave her and run away with me." Leaning his forehead against Lucas's, both their breaths halted for a beat. He murmured, "Be mine."

Pulling away with a soft chuckle, Lucas said, "I know you're just playing around, but if you keep those moves up, I just might fall in love with you."