Chapter 55

"What is he doing here?!" Jeremy yelled
"Son, calm down." Mr. Whyte urged.
Renée was clueless but tried to calm her husband.
The young man remained silent. You could see he was terrified of Jeremy. But he mustered courage and spoke up and Mia stood beside him.

"With all due respect Sir, I love your sister and I'll never do anything to harm her."
"Jay, Edward and I have been dating for a year now. He proposed and I said yes"
Oh she now understood. That was the reason Mia went on rehab for months some years back.
"How could you, Mia? How can you be with someone who deceived you for years? You're cousins, darn it!" Jeremy spoke with great concern.

"He's the adopted son of Frank, so technically we are not blood related." She knew that didn't make the situation any different. It was still incest. But was quick to add.
"I love him Jay. I understand why he did that and I've forgiven him. You are best person to relate to such a situation."
Ouch. She touched a delicate cord in his heart and he immediately calmed.

Though he was unhappy. He accepted defeat. His sister never made time for herself. All her life, she had been planning the fall of the Buckles and the restoration of  the Carlson fortune.
She had been with one or two guys, but never anything serious. He didn't want to ruin her chance to happiness.
But one wrong move, and that prick will be out of her life. He assured himself.

"I'm sorry Mia. I know I should be happy for you. I was just trying to look out for you."
She smiled and they hugged.

They ate dinner with relish. They were engrossed in their discussions, getting to know each other better.
Then Mr. Whyte got up to propose a toast.
"Before I propose a toast, I'll like to inform you that Paula and I have set a date for our wedding for the 12th of March, next year..."
That was four months away. We were all excited.
He raised his glass.
"A toast to the happiness of all gathered here. We're family now."
Glass clinked.
Renée stuck to a cocktail drink and was glad Jeremy stood by her side. The rest drank fine champagne.

*.            *.           *.           *.           *.           *.            *.     
Mia's engagement party was coming up. She was overjoyed. Renee was more like a sister to her in those times. She helped out in all the preparations, from the food to the invitations to picking out the perfect outfit. For that, she was eternally grateful.

The engagement party was held a week before Christmas. The theme colours were jade and magenta with a touch of gold. The hall was magnificently decorated with these colours. Since she was a part of the bride's family, Renée pick a magenta dress with a high gold plated neckline. She held her box braids in a sleek low ponytail.

When they got to the party, they were overwhelmed by the crowd there. It was glamorous. High profile guests filled the great hall of the Whytes New York residence. The press was everywhere. Mia Carlson Whyte. The heiress to the Carlson and Whyte fortune. It was big news.

Mr. Whyte with Paula, greeted some guests. Ava stood talking to Xavier while Edward was in the company of some relations and friends. They all awaited Mia. She was the star of the night.

All eyes rose to the marble tiled staircase as Mia descended. She looked glorious.  She wore an off shoulder magenta dress with gold intertwined with jade laced bell sleeves. Her hair fell straight down her shoulder with blunt bangs.

The engagement party was an amazing one. Most of the guests had already left. The hall was pretty empty with just a few relations of Edward, the Whytes, Ava and Xavier.

Mr. Whyte and Paula saw their prospective in laws out as Renée made sure that all the wine glasses and bottles were packed away. Jeremy was in a deep conversation with Xavier. Ava congratulated the new couple. It was a good day for the Whytes.
But their troubles were far from over.

A car arrived and she stepped out. Confident and elegant. She strode across the compound towards the mansion and when she entered, all activities stopped. Everyone was spell bound.
"Anastasia, what are you doing ?" Mr. Whyte asked calmly although he was clearly infuriated at her presence. Everyone neared the entrance where the charade was going on.
"Now, now Mr. Whyte, I didn't come looking for trouble. I came to congratulate Mia, my prospective sister in law. Mia dearest, I'm so sorry I'm late. I had pressing matters to attend to." She spoke with no trace of fear. Mia fumed as Edward held her back from tearing Ana's eyes out.
"Feisty as ever." Ana observed.
"Anastasia, just leave. You don't belong here." Edward advised.
"Says the one whose not even in the family yet. Don't let me start with you pretty boy or then they'll hate you just as much as they hate me.", she winked at him.
"Why is the room so tensed up? Where is my knight in shining armour? Oh, there he is."
She walked up to Jeremy and Renée.
"I expected you to be yelling at me by now. What's the matter? The cat's got your tongue." She cupped his face in her palm and he turned away.
Renée held onto Jeremy firmly, her gaze searching for answers.
"Oh. I get it. You haven't told your dear little puppet yet, isn't it Jay?"
She gave a wicked laugh.
"What is she talking about Jay?" Renée whispered to him.
Then it occurred to her. That must have been what Mr. Whyte and Jay were discussing. She had in mind to ask him but everything happened so fast, she didn't find the right time to.
"Tell her. Tell her, Jeremy that you're going to divorce her and marry me, your childhood sweetheart."
"And why would he do that?" Renée spoke up.
"Your dear husband and I are expecting a baby."