Chapter 54

Renée and her family returned to Austin. Ava stayed back in Renée apartment. She had secured a job in Seattle already and Renata had started school too. She couldn't risk leaving with them and besides, she wanted them to have the privacy to sort everything between them.

Stepping back into their mansion brought back so many memories. She noticed the change.
"What did you do the house?"
"I refurbished it. I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable living here. I knew it'll bring back many things you'll like to forget."
She could only sigh. She liked the change. The house looked more homely with the touch of bright colours it had now. The interior decorator did a great job.
"This is a fresh start"

There is a family dinner tonight in Dallas with Mia, Paula and Mr. Whyte.
It was an hour's flight. She was clad in a blue black turtle neck woolen dress. She had her loose box braids done the day before. She let them loose and they fell straight down adorning her beautiful oval face.
Winter was almost here. The weather was chilly.
They arrived at the Whytes mansion.
"Seriously, how many buildings does Mr. Whyte own?" Renée asked, marveled at the great display of wealth.
"Six mansions, spread out across the country. He also has condos, penthouses and apartment buildings."
"Wow. But does he live in all of them ?"
"His main lounge is in New York but he lives in the other homes as and when he's in that area to contract business."
"I don't think I'll ever get used to this."
He laughed.

When they went in, they were greeted by Mr. Whyte and Paula. Mia was still getting ready. Renée sat in the living room to watch tv. Paula went to the kitchen.
Jeremy and Mr. Whyte went to the study, obviously to talk about business. She was certain it was about the Verga League. Jeremy didn't want to talk about it but she had heard Carlson Corp dropped to the bottom. She could tell he was really bothered but tried to look calm. And with everything that was going on in their marriage, he was a nervous wreck.

The Ruis, Spanish empire, dealing in jewelry, rocks, metals and precious stones, topped the League table. The Diegos, Mexican empire, dealing in Agriculture, came second.
Whytes and Associates, the American empire, dealing in mainly the operation of financial firms, law firms, schools and colleges and other investments ventures, came third.
Xinchua, the Chinese empire, dealing in manufacturing of plastics, rubber and glass in making various products, came fourth.
Pierre, The French empire, dealing in fabrics, fashion and perfume came fifth.
Carlson Corp., the British empire, dealing in mainly technology; software development and computer engineering, were at the bottom.

The Verga League was basically a league that awarded the empire that grew economically; making good profits, within that year. It was put together by six friends, decades ago, to challenge themselves to grow their business to the optimum.

Mia stepped out of her room. She wore a black shimmering wrap dress that showed off her perfect body. Her chestnut brown hair was styled into a bouffant wavy hairdo. She looked gorgeous.
"Mia"
"Renée"
"You're looking good."
"Thank you. You looking great too. Where's Jeremy?"
"He's with your dad in the study."
Paula emerged from the kitchen.
"Mia dear, can you give me a hand in the kitchen?"
"Sure. Renée you go call Jay and dad, tell them we're ready."

The mansion was huge. I lingered to find the study. I finally found it. The door was half way opened so I noticed Jay and Mr. Whyte talking. But when I got there, I couldn't help but overhear what they were discussing.
"You've got to tell her soon. She'll appreciate it that you told her rather than hearing it from someone else." Mr. Whyte advised.
"I know dad but it's not going to be easy. I've lost her once, I'm scared of losing her again." Jeremy confided.
She didn't need to be a rocket scientist to know she was their topic of discussion. What was Jay hiding from her?

She knocked on the door.
"Come in." Mr. Whyte answered.
They both looked  disturbed, wondering if she had heard anything.
"Mia is ready. Dinner is being served."
"Okay dear, we'll be right there."

We were all getting seated, when the door bell rang. Mia got up to get it. Jeremy and Renée exchanged glances. Who were the Whytes expecting?
Mia stepped in with a handsome young man. Jeremy immediately became infuriated.