Episode 24

My Whyte hired me as his personal doctor. That means I render services to only him as and when he needs it and get twice as much as I was being paid before.

That meant I could help Jordan with the wedding preparations. I wanted a simple wedding not too luxurious.

I took Jordan to see my parents over the weekend and we'd begin the marriage rites next month.

By the end of August, which was five months away, I would be Mrs Renée Akuffo.

************
My phone rang. It was Carlos. Couldn't he stop calling me?
"What now?"
"As feisty as ever, I like it."
"What do you want Carlos?"
"Wanna go out tonight?"
"No"
"I don't bite"
"I'm engaged"
"What?! To Jordan?!
Seriously, Renée." He spat out in digust

"Anyway, it's just one night. But it could be more if you want it to. And if you go with me tonight... who knows, I could stop bothering you forever."

I had heard these words too often before.
"I've thought about it Carlos and my answer is still No. Now do me and favor and don't call me again."
I ended the call.

* * * * * *
Mr Whyte invited me over to his house. He want to have a general check up.

His house...no, mansion was magnificent. It was a paradigm of luxury.
It could be a Community on its own.

There was no one at the huge metallic gate but it immediately opened when I got there, paving way for me to drive in. I know, classy.

"Miss Affoh", a beautiful young lady greeted when I stepped out of my car.

"Mr. Whyte is waiting for you in the Family living area. This way.", she ushered me gracefully inside.

The mansion had three living areas. What in the world does he use that much space for?
The first living area was big. The other two were just okay. I was ushered into the smaller; the family living area.
"Mr Whyte"
"My dear. How are you?"
"I'm good by God's grace, and you Sir?"
"I must say, I've been better."
"Your House is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G"
We laughed.

"Well, isn't it my dearest sister in law?", Mia came in
An awkward silence fell among us. Did she know her brother was engaged and I was too?
"I heard someone say this house was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G, Mia stated.
We laughed.
The earlier tension ceased.

She continued.
"Why don't I give you a tour of the mansion?", I looked at Mr. Whyte with my 'if you don't give me permission, I'll die' face.

He laughed.
"Go on dear. I'll be in here when you're done"

We toured the entire property. It was architecture at its best. It must have cost a fortune.

We toured the entire property and after over an hour, we were left with a few rooms downstairs. I rejected Mia's offer to check out the rooms upstairs.
Didn't want to risk running into Jeremy.

************
When we got to the last door at the west wing of the mansion, Mia had a phone call.
"You go on ahead Renée. That's the gym. I'm right behind you. I'll just answer this"
I went in and I don't think I regretted it though I should have.

Jeremy had his head down, shirtless and feet apart lifting a weight.

His left hand rested on his left lap tapering a bit between his legs as his right hand lifted the weight.

I didn't know whether to turn back or walk in.
My feet and in fact, my entire nervous system were not cooperating in the least.

I wasn't prepared for this.