Episode 7

I rented a small apartment with my high school bestie and two other girls. It was a two bedroom apartment with two kitchenettes and two bathrooms which means we all shared a common living area. Ava and I shared a room, a kitchenette and a bathroom and the other girls did same.
It was the best I could afford. This is the city. Everything's expensive.

************
It was an hour to 7:00pm and I had to start getting ready. The annual end of the year party and charity gala was happening today.
I picked a black illusion loose fitting gown. It was simple yet flattering.
Besides, it was the only dinner dress I owned. Not that I'm complaining. I never got to go to a party of such manner.

It was a quarter to seven when my phone rang.
An unknown number .
"Hello.
May I please know who I am speaking to"
"I'm downstairs. Be here in 5."
The call ended.

It was definitely Jeremy.
The crown of rudeness goes to...
drum roll.....
Jeremy.... tah- dahhh!!!

But how did he even get my number? My Whyte probably gave it to him.

I glanced at my reflection in the mirror. I looked amazing. I offered a silent prayer for God to guide me and direct all my activities because it was my first time at such an occasion.
I spotted a black BMW X6 at the security post. It is definitely him. How many cars did this guy even own? How many does he even drive at a time?
Pff. Vanity.

I walked gracefully towards the car and as I approached it, he got down to open the door for me. My jaw literally dropped.
Is it even legal for someone to look this good in a tux. Jeez.
You're drooling Renee. Keep it together.

He filled my mind throughout the drive.
Is this even right as a Christian?
I said the Lord's Prayer and laid emphasis on the clause, "...and lead us not into temptation..."

*                                *                                 *                       *
I began to feel underdressed but it was loose fitting after all and flattered my body perfectly and I'd covered up quite well, right? Ava would have told if otherwise.
My aunt gifted me this dress when she returned from her business trip in the United Kingdom two years ago.

**************
"Renée", his deep voice startled me.
It was the first time he called by my first name.
No, it was the first time he actually called me by a name! Can you imagine.

When I stepped out of the car, flashes of light nearly blinded me. The paparazzi were everywhere.
Jeremy held my hand firmly and shielded me from all those reporters probably working for gossip magazines.
He could have left me standing there all by myself but he made sure I was not bothered by any reporter and for that I was grateful.

When we stepped inside, I was awestruck. It was the definition of glamour. He lean over slightly and in a whisper,
"We'll talk later", and walked away, leaving me by myself in the midst of all these sophisticated people but with no one to talk to and I could only anticipate what was in store for me later that night.
I couldn't help but notice the stares. I definitely didn't belong here. I should have never let Ava talk me out of my decision to not attend this gala.

Mother Earth please open and swallow me up...