Episode 9

"I'll like to thank everyone for coming here today to grace this august ceremony of the Fifth Annual End of Year Celebration and Charity Gala.
I'll also take this opportunity to welcome my son Jeremy Tyler Carlson Whyte.
I hope you're here for good. As you take over soon, I'm certain that Whytes and Associates will thrive.
To all gathered here and those who contributed immensely towards this cause, I say Ayekoo (well done). Because of you many more children can be catered for in our various children homes across the country." Mr. Whyte declared as he concluded his speech.
Jeremy proposed a toast.
"A toast to the success of this movement"
The sound of champagne glasses clinking filled the ambience. I felt at ease knowing I wasn't the only one drinking water.

************
After the toast, I noticed Jeremy head towards where I was with Jordan. He kept a straight face.
"Mr. Carlson Whyte" Jordan addressed immediately when he noticed him and stretched out his hand to him. Jeremy stretched out his hand reluctantly and shook him.
"I'm Jordan Akuffo." Jordan said almost shaking with fear. Oh Goodness. What's it with Jeremy that makes everyone tremble at his feet?
"Thanks for keeping my date company while I was away" he said and smiled. How rude. From a mile away I could tell that smile was fake.

The expression on Jordan's face screamed I'M SO SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS TAKEN.
Poor guy. I was so sorry he was put through all that trouble because of me.
"This way my lady", he ushered me gracefully out of the hall.

*                    *                       *                       *
He took to the back of the building. There were some beautifully tendered lawns. They were lovely. He led me to a bench and we sat.
We faced each other looking into our eyes. After our eyes locked for a while, I began to see right through him again. It was a magical moment. I searched his soul but all I saw was emptiness.

He was about to break the silence that had engulfed us but seemed to be in a battle with his emotions which he tried to mask.
I couldn't help but notice the hurt in his eyes. I could tell he was going through a lot. I reached for his cheek and gently stroked it.
It was like we could relate to each other, understand each other better than anyone else could.

He hesitated a bit and got up. He stood still for a while facing the opposite direction. Just when I thought we were finally getting along, he put on that ugly mask on again.
"I know what you're trying to do but believe me it won't work", he yelled
I stood up perplexed.
"Don't give me that cute innocent face, I know girls like you too well."
"Well, then I think you're mistaken Jeremy. I'm not like the women who you unfortunately crossed paths with. Those who left deep scars to last a lifetime" I remarked
"Then explain to me why my dad is playing matchmaker with me and a total stranger", he spat the words out in disgust.
"Look, I've no knowledge about whatever your dad has planned with regards to us and I'm not interested in the least. I do this because I care for you, as a sister in faith of course. Ever since I met you, I've had this urge to make you feel whole again by the redeeming love of Jesus Christ. To fill your empty soul." I stated sincerely.
"Ha. I can't believe you're one of those brainwashed dummies who still believe in that myth."
"Watch your words! You wouldn't want to regret it later." I declared with passion.
"Whatever you say. You can stay in your ignorance."
Silence fell upon us for a while. We had to calm our nerves.

"Renée", he said in a voice filled with humour.
"Yes, Jeremy"
"I have a proposition..."