Episode 22

The party was fancy. Thank God I didn't listen to Ava to pick that simple green dress. I would have been feeling underdressed right now.
We were back to the circumstances in which we met. Where I met my perfect man. We drank water together this time and I felt unashamed.
"Do you remember this what exactly how we met?", he asked.
"Yeah...when you were totally shaking with fright when Jeremy told you I was his date.", I teased
"It was out of respect"
"Yeah yeah...", I giggled
"History is repeating itself"
"Yeah right....You're saying Jeremy is going to appear on stage right now. Really?", I asked with a sarcastic smirk on my face.

The clinking of a champagne flute called for our attention. We were engrossed in our conversation; laughing and enjoying each other's company. That deep voice was all too familiar. I lifted my gaze to the stage. My eyes nearly popped out of their socket in awe.
Boom! Speak of devil...
There he was standing in his glory in his black tuxedo. His aura was not lost. I took in his features one at a time. His soft dark brown hair made over into a messy undercut. His brown eyes glittered under the stage lights. His well toned body and perfectly defined arms could be seen even from under the thick fabric. His perfectly tanned hybrid skin was at its best glow. And his captivating smile...
Goodness.

I realized he captured the attention of almost all the women in the hall.
He was a bit startled to see me. His gaze was fixed on me throughout his speech.
"As the transfer has been successfully completed, Brook Hospital is now Evelyn Rose Carlson's Memorial Hospital in memory of my mother Evelyn Rose Carlson who passed away four years ago. Mother, your memory still lives on. As the Chief Executive Officer and proud owner of the ERC Memorial Hospital, I covet all of your cooperation to reach higher heights and to provide quality health care services to the people of Ghana."
Applause filled the ambience. I was still in shock. I was getting over Jeremy but I definitely didn't expect to see him here.
Mr. Whyte came over.
"Renée, my dear. It's been so long a time"
"Mr. Whyte. I missed you too."
"I've been coping with my new research assistant. Let me tell you a secret."
He said in a whisper
"She's not even half as good as you." We laughed.
Jeremy came over.
"Miss Affoh." Back to all the formalities.
"Mr. Carlson Whyte". We shook hands.
"Jordan Akuffo?", he referred to Joe.
"Yes Sir"
"Jordan Akuffo, son of Obed Akuffo.", Mr. Whyte asked in recollection.
"Yes Mr. Whyte."
"You dad and I were classmates at college. Let's talk at the bar. They excused themselves.
"So Miss Affoh....I hope you're enjoying your wild escapades.", Jeremy said once his dad was out of earshot.
"I beg your pardon?!", I spat out the words in disgust. One mistake was able to brand me for life. That was Jeremy.
"Hey beautiful. Hey bro" Great. I can believe Carlos is here.
"Mr. Diego" I greeted
"Oh cut the act Renée", Jeremy replied. He hadn't forgotten what he saw the last time in Carlos' office.
"Look, you can think whatever you want." I was mad. Why couldn't he be more understanding like Jordan?

*.                     *.                       *.                      *
Flashback: Four years ago.
Jeremy and Jordan stood in awe taking in the events. Jeremy frowned; his temples twitching. He stormed out. Jordan left the scene confused and broken. Who should i go after now?
Jordan would understand. I raced out to look for Jeremy. I run after him.
"Jay! Jay!"
"What do you want?", he asked in disgust.
" It's not what you're thinking, okay? Let me explain"
"Why do you care what I think?"
"Probably because I'm still not over you", I replied in honesty.
"If you still were, you wouldn't have left me", he started his engine and took off, leaving me there all by self. I knew he was right. I chose to go along this path. We would have been happy together. I broke down and after a while of sobbing, Carlos took me home. We sat in silence till I got to my apartment. All I could  mutter was a simple thank you.
The next day, I mustered courage and called Joe. After I explained to him, he understood. He knew the kind of man his boss was. I sensed disappointment in his voice but we soon overcame it together.
But that didn't erase that feeling of embarrassment and ease the blow to my ego.

Back to the present.
"Look bro, as much as I would want to break the bed with her, nothing happened that day. It was the first  time we met", Carlos said with a smirk.
Jeremy was about to reply when a voice cut in.

She had a bleached skin. Her strawberry blond dyed hair color so did not suit her skin tone. Her pouty lips were painted red made her look more like a vampire who had just finished his meal. Her fake body was just too obvious. Did this girl even own a mirror?
I wasn't being jealous but.... ok, maybe I was but just a little bit especially when she wrapped her arms around his neck.
"Hey baby", she said as she kissed Jay right it in front of us. How impolite.
"Elena"
"Who are these people, baby?"
"This is Carlos, my childhood friend."
Childhood friend?
"And who's that one?", that one, seriously?
"I would introduce you to her but I don't know her." Jay stated in annoyance.
That's it! That's the last straw! This game is so on, Jay. I was about to retaliate when he cut in.
"Carlos, meet my fiancée, Elena."
I lost my voice...