Episode 23

"Nice meeting you Carlos", she said provocatively. Seriously? Her fiancé was just standing there. I didn't want Jeremy to get the upper hand in this but I just couldn't stand this. I needed fresh air.
I walked away without looking back. I headed for the balcony. I burst in tears once I was alone. I really needed the fresh air, I was suffocating in there.
Fiancée? He was getting married. 4 years was enough time to get over me. I was heartbroken.

I felt someone hug me from behind. I jumped with fright but he didn't let me go. It was Jordan.
"I know you're still in love with Jeremy. Give me a chance. Let me in your heart. I can help you forget him. You can't waste your precious love on someone who doesn't want it. He's getting married in weeks."
I calmed under his touch. I felt at home.
Maybe I should let Joe in my heart. If there was one thing I was sure about is that he'll never leave me.
We hugged and I wept in his arms. I was thankful to God for Joe, he was always around when I needed him the most.

"Go wait for me in the car. I'll just tell Mr. Whyte we're leaving, okay? You'll be just fine, honey"

Carlos approached me.
"Hey beautiful, what are you doing here all by yourself", when I didn't respond he continued.
"That was a big blow, wasn't it? Look I can make you forget about him in one night."
"Carlos please... just stay away from me. You caused me more trouble in a day than anyone could in a lifetime."

Joe and Mr. Whyte came over and he excused himself.
"I hope you're okay my dear", Mr Whyte asked
How did he know about my break down? Probably, he must have seen me run out when he was talking to Jordan earlier and guessed the reason.
"Yeah I'm good."
He escorted us to the exit.
Jordan went over to the garage to pick his car.
"Renée... I want you to know that even if I wanted you and my son to be together, I would want you to be happy. Jeremy is being a jerk to leave you for that snobby princess. I hope he'll come to his senses sooner rather than later."

That's all I needed to hear.

*. *. *. *
Carlos had been tormenting me for weeks now and I'm seriously thinking about filing a restraining order against him.
I told Joe about it and he also disclosed that Carlos has been asking some really personal questions about me.

Joe decided it was time to look for a new job. He applied at The Pierres, another associate of the Verga, recently opened.

Why were they all now investing in Ghana?

Joe got in.

"Joe, isn't it weird that the number of associates of Verga in Ghana have increased very significantly over the last few years?
"Yeah first it was The Whytes, then The Diegos, The Pierres and now the Carlsons."
"The Carlsons? Aren't the Carlsons and Whytes one business empire?"
"No honey, there are two different business empires"

It made no sense. The Verga was so complicated putting together 6 different business empires together for only God knows what.

I had heard these empires were from all round the globe except Africa and South America; how discriminating.

There were The Whytes from the States; The Diegos from Mexico; The Pierres from France and The Carlsons, I now learnt, from Great Britain and parts of Australia.
I didn't know much about the two other empires but I knew they hailed from Spain and China.

*. *. *. *
It has been three months already since I came back to Ghana.

I have meeting up a lot with Jordan ever since I got back.

Jordan called
"Hey"
"Hey"
"Wanna go out tonight?"
"What's the occasion?" I was perplexed.
"We are celebrating our fifth year anniversary."
"Seriously? We broke up for 4 years?"
"It all counts; it made our love stronger. So wear something nice. I'll pick you up at 7. Love you"
"Love you too. Take care"

**********

I picked a dark green halter neck dress.
I wore the necklace Joe insisted I accept when he asked me to be his girlfriend.
I hoped it'd make him happy.

I met Jordan downstairs
"Mhmm... quite the punctual one. You cleaned up nice Joe."
"Thank you. You look great as well.... Can see you wore the necklace I bought you. It really means a lot to me that you did.", Joe commented.

We drove to our favorite spot. He had the Executive lounge once again reserved for us.

We had a wonderful dinner.

"Renée..", he held my hand as soon us the waitress left with the dishes. Then he went on his right knee while bringing out a red small box from his pocket. I was overwhelmed.

"Renie dear... I know you're overwhelmed and may not be expecting this but I want you to know a year and a half is enough to make me certain that you're the One. You've always been the One. I've prayed about this and I feel led to go ahead so...
Renée Ann Affoh, will you marry me?"

I thought about it carefully. I loved Joe and cared for him deeply.

Yes he had his shortcomings and all but I could tolerate that and I knew for sure that he's always got my back.

That why I said...

"Yes"