Episode 25

When he looked up, I immediately turned around, covering my eyes with my hands.
"I didn't see anything, I promise",
I lied.
He laughed.
"Your guilty conscience's ratting you out."
"Put on a shirt" I said
"Turn around already."
"It's not funny. I wouldn't turn around until you wear something.", I said in mock anger
"Fine fine.... I'll wear something. You can turn around now"

When I turned around, he was still shirtless with a towel across his shoulder.
I sighed.
"You'll never change; as stubborn as ever"
"That's why I'm the best."
We laughed.
It was just like the old times.

He notices my ring and his demeanor changes.
"You're engaged?"
"Yeah", I said confidently shielding the hurt I felt inside.

Mia entered.
"Heeeeyyy..." Looking at her brother and then at me.
"Congratulations then", he said and left not paying attention to his sister.

"What's up with him?"
I remained silent.
He had no right to get angry with me for getting engaged when he was also engaged.

I went back to the Family living area to check up on Mr. Whyte.
I checked his temperature and blood pressure, then took sample blood samples.

"Your blood pressure is quite high. Try going on a vacation sometime; just to relax"
"Sure will do my dear"

**********
I walked back to my car.
I started the engine but it didn't respond. I tried several times but it produced the same result.

I heard Jeremy bid his father goodbye. Mr. Whyte walked him to the door and spotted me.
"Are you facing any trouble dear?"
My luck!
"Yeah, my car isn't responding", I said shyly.
"Jay dear, please take her home."
I saw Jeremy roll his eyes. I didn't want to go with him either.

"No it's okay Sir. I'll pick a cab."
"Nonsense. Jeremy will take you and that's final.", he left.

"Get in", Jeremy said as he headed for the driver's seat.
I walked briskly to the car.
"You didn't have to", I said once I was in the car.
"I didn't do it for you. I did it for my dad"

We drove in silence to his work place. I then realized I didn't tell him where I lived. Darn it.

"Wait at the reception. Randy will take you home. He said once we were at his workplace and left for his office.

Randy came almost immediately and drove me home.

When I got inside, I saw a note on the centre table.

Honey,
I came home for lunch but you were not in so I'm having lunch out today, okay? See you later tonight.
Kisses,
Joe.

I totally forgot Joe would be coming over for lunch. Besides, I didn't want to see him now after what happened with Jeremy at the gym. I felt like a cheat.

Since I was not busy around the clock, while I wasn't working, I went on evangelism. I prayed that God will direct my every step.

*. *. *. *.
It was a new day. My phone rang.
"Mr. Whyte"
"Renée. I thought about what you said yesterday so we're going on a vacation to the states tomorrow"
"We?"
"Yes, Mia, Jeremy, his fiancée, you and I"
.......