Deathbringer

The Narrator

"You bloody demoness! Deathbringer!" screamed Melinda as she wailed, screaming and threatening to kill AnnSophia Fabron at the hospital. The nurses and doctors held her back and had interrupted her when she tried to grab a scissor and stab AnnSophia in the neck. Rhett stood in front of AnnSophia in a defensive position. Garcia and Sosa stood in front of Rhett, joining in defending AnnSophia from the mad and angry Melinda.

AnnSophia was in tears. She was overburdened by guilt for what she did to Melinda's grandchildren: MariaRosa and her brother. Rhett was in tears too, but more for learning what happened to his brother.

The story of how they ended up in a hospital in the city of Bartempa far from Blencojo began when someone knocked on the door of Eustacio's house on the evening of the day before the previous day. Melinda was surprised when she saw two police officers and Bustamente's wife at the door.

***

Evening. 2 days ago. Blencojo, Argentina

"What happened, sir?" she asked the taller of the two policemen: Sosa.

The policemen didn't say anything - perhaps they were afraid of how Melinda would react, of breaking the old lady's spirit with the news that they wanted to reveal - but simply looked at Bustamente's wife.

"What is it?" she asked Bustamente's wife, worried.

Bustamente's wife broke in tears and began crying. She couldn't find her voice to say anything.

Melinda's eyes were almost tearing up as fear filled her heart, and thousands of worries flooded her mind. "Please tell me! What's wrong?"

Melinda then suddenly told AnnSophia and Rhett, "Please go into the house and make sure the kids stay in their room. Do it!"

"But...what about - ?"

"Do what she says, son," Garcia said.

Rhett nodded and left with AnnSophia to ensure that MariaRosa and her brother would stay in their room.

"Do you know why they're here, Rhett?" AnnSophia asked as they made their way upstairs to the kids' rooms.

"I don't know, AnnSophia. I feel like it's something related to us."

"But, Rhett, if the police came to rescue us, why was Mrs. Bustamente crying? If anything happened - "

"The car! something must've happened to the car. AnnSophia, go up to the kids and make them stay."

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to find out what they're talking about."

Before he could walk down the stairs, AnnSophia caught his hand. "But didn't she ask us to go up?"

"This has something to do with MY brother! I don't care what she says. If something happened to Tom, I want and deserve the right to know. I don't want to hear somebody sugarcoating the truth later just so that I don't feel bad."

"Rhett, don't speak like that. You're scaring me. I'm sure nothing would've happened."

Rhett shook off AnnSophia's hands and crept down the stairs to find a hiding spot behind a rack from where he could see the policemen and Melinda in the living room while they couldn't notice them.

"Rhett!"

"CAN YOU [Explicit] SHUT UP, go to the room while I [Explicit] go and find what has gone wrong with my [Explicit] brother?"