In The Middle Of Nowhere

1 Day Later

AnnSophia Fabron

Never have I ever been more grateful for my life than on the day when I realized that the half of the raft that Tom, Rhett and I were on didn't break down further- unlike the half that Alice, Timothy, Kirt, and Shifaly were on- by striking other rocks downstream. The entire experience of the accident was so exceedingly overwhelming that the shock and exhaustion that followed the collision rendered Tom, Rhett and me unconscious. The last thing that I saw before passing out was the other half of the raft crashing into more rocks and breaking up.

Fatigue and shock kept us three unconscious for almost a day until we could recuperate sufficient strength to get up and look around where we were on the raft. Getting up after regaining energy, I scanned my surroundings to help myself guess the location of our watercraft. Wide was the river there. The current in the place where I found ourselves was moderate. Despite it being of a slower pace than that which we encountered during the crash, the boat was unmaneuverable because there were no paddles. During the collision with the rock, we lost the paddles and machetes. When I stared at my wristwatch, I saw that it was broken and damaged. I untied it and threw it into the river. The metal watch sank through the greenish water and went out of sight. Besides the loss of the paddles, what kept us from trying to reach the bank was the discouragement and grief that weighed upon us after we realized that our friends would have died. The rocks could have bashed Kirt, Alice, and Timothy to death. I feared that Hernanda died too. I saw her grip onto a piece of wood, in an attempt to save herself from drowning, before I passed out.

Despite my desire to cry, tears failed to stream down my tear glands. My grief was so deep that I couldn't cry it out. In Wolfgang Academy, our classmates weren't just our classmates. They were our brothers and sisters. It hurt deeply when one of our classmates died. The pain can be compared only to the pain that one feels when their parents die. "Alice is gone! Kirt is gone! Timothy too! Hernanda! Francisco! and Zachary!" I told myself. I had no hope for Rhett, Tom and I. We couldn't motivate ourselves any longer to survive. We were simply floating on the boat, waiting for the next person on death's list to die. This feeling of discouragement and the grief over the fact that my classmates would have died overwhelmed my will that day: I allowed it to overcome my will. I just sat on the raft, hands burying my face, depressed.

Six days had passed since the day our raft (from this point on when I say 'raft' I am referring to our half of what used to be the raft) was still aimlessly floating downstream on the waters of the river. We didn't eat anything. We were hungry. Rhett and Tom were sick after consuming the river water, so I abstained from drinking it.

Alice Boe

It was the densest forest that I'd ever seen in my entire life. Where was I? I knew not the place I had reached after I drifted on my piece of the raft towards the bank. Actually, I didn't remember if I drifted towards the bank or if I jumped off the raft when it edged the river bank. Either way I safely reached the bank, even though I knew not what troubles lay in wait for me in those jungles, ready to ambush me when I least expected them. This was my first day since the collision. It was a day of confusion, and grief. Desperate was I to know where everybody else - Timothy, Kirt and Shifaly - was. I was so exhausted after the accident and struggle with the water that when I fell down on the bank to rest, I didn't mind the worms and insects on the forest floor.

Now six days had passed since the day I last saw AnnSophia, Rhett and Tom. The last time I saw Hernanda was when Rhett held onto her hand, before I alerted everybody else of the rock that we collided with.

Fortunately, the fruit that we had been eating earlier was found near to where I was, in large quantities. Eating the fruit, I survived as I continued to journey along the river, on the bank, in hopes of finding my classmates somewhere downriver. My walk was disappointing

I saw no sign of hope for three days until I walked near a hill infested with snakes. I was glad I could see the serpents before I neared the hill; for, if I never saw those odiphians, I would have tried to climb that hill and got bitten by all of them. Just near a tree four rocks right of the hill, I found Shifaly drooling. She was exhausted and her eyes were heavy, as if she had never slept for long. She was limping. "Shifaly!". I ran to her as soon as I saw her, glad that one familiar soul didn't perish in the ordeal. She collapsed on the ground. I ran beside her an knelt. "Shifaly? it's me Alice?"
"Al...Alice," she stammered with her diminishing strength after opening her heavy, sleepy eyes with seemingly immense effort.
"Yes. Shifaly. What happened?"
"The water... the water it's infected," she muttered, "Hernanda and I survived and we were together until we lost each other while running through the jungle from what we thought was a bear.
I survived by depending on the fruit for my liquids. I didn't drink the water from the river because when I grabbed some of the water in my hand to drink it, I noticed traces of something black in it. I knew from that moment on that it was infected.

The day after that day, Timothy found us when he was walking upstream. Timothy got very less scrapes on his body. He too was surviving on the fruit. Shifaly and I were glad that we finally found Timothy. Discovering Timothy was of great relief to us both. No longer did we have the feeling of loneliness that we both had. Timothy told us that he saw Hernanda two minutes before he saw me. She was about 50 trees far from him. He tried calling her name but she didn't respond. When he ran after her, she was gone by the time he reached the spot where he saw her first.

Ever since we three reunited, we stayed near the river, waiting for Shifaly to recover from her sickness. We planned to resume our journey after she did. We didn't know where we were. We were in the middle of nowhere. During that time of waiting, we hoped that we'd see Hernanda or Kirt. We wished that they'd be alive. We wished that Timothy didn't hallucinate when he 'saw' Hernanda. As much as I didn't feel good looking at Timothy tend to Shifaly like a mother tending to her baby, I prevented myself from acting out of jealousy. I chose to let go of Timothy from my heart. I'm not going to feel sad if he liked Shifaly.

---------------------

Thank you for reading!

Do you like this chapter? Do let me know that you loved it by giving the chapter a vote.

Next Chapter(Episode): Atlantis