Serious Condition

Felipe Altamirano Alvarez Espadachín

Just when I was speaking with the chief, I heard a familiar noise. Looking in the direction of the noise, I received a surprise. It was Amor. Amor came running up the slope from the "forbidden forest". He was howling as he came. There was a wound on his back. "Amor!" I ran towards him. Despite his injury, he came up to me and licked my face. I looked at his injury. It was deep like those on the old man who just died. As soon as Amor came near me and finished licking me, he collapsed. He was breathing, bleeding and alive, but didn't get up. "Amor!" I tried to wake him up. There was no response. Looking down from the slope, I saw a long trail of blood. Amor was bleeding for a long time. "Luismar, hurry! We've got to take the dog to medical help!" I told the villagers, "A cloth!" A woman came and brought a cloth. We tied it around Amor who was breathing but couldn't get up. "We're going to leave, bud. We'll get you to a doctor," I assured the pup. Taking the dog in my hand, we dashed towards the canoes. The boatsman got onto the canoe. We began to head towards Las Taperas. Holding bleeding Amor, who still tried to lick my face despite his condition, I hoped that we'd make it to Las Taperas in time. From Las Taperas, I had to take my dog to the Veterinary Hospital in Roboré, on a 1 hour 30 minutes drive.

Kirt Heinrich

It was afternoon, and we continued to search for Amor. We didn't want to give up on Amor because of the company he gave us. We searched through every nook and corner of the rainforest, peeling back the bushes and branches of trees that blocked my view of things. Despite my ardent efforts to find my canine friend, he was nowhere to be found. Was Amor a mere figment of my imagination? definitely not! He was real and there were sane witnesses to prove his reality. He ate, slept and played with us. We went to the river hoping to see if there was any trace of bloodied fur or of any skeleton that showed indications that Amor became prey for a predator; there was nothing on the river. We repeated our search that afternoon and extended our radius to 5km. We scanned the entire area until it was dark.

Felipe Altamirano Alvarez Espadachín

"Don't give up on me bud" I carried Amor in my arms as we barged into the Veterinary hospital at Roboré. "Emergency! Emergency!" I shouted at the top of my lungs as everyone in the hospital first looked at me with surprise, before staring with shock at the bleeding dog in my arms. Amor was unconscious. His eyes were closed. Only the slow heaving of his chest proved that he was alive. The nurses in that hospital immediately took the dog from my hand and rushed him to the emergency ward. I tried following the nurse but her colleagues stopped me. My uniform was wet with Amor's blood. Once I admitted Amor to the hospital, Pablo and Luismar left for the village once again, to gather evidence surrounding the old man's death.

Five hours passed. The doctor who went into the room that the nurse went to came out pulling out the gloves from his hand. "Doctor, how is my dog?" I asked.

"We can't say anything Capitán, he is in serious condition." The doctor walked away before I could ask for him to elaborate on Amor's condition.

I stared at the clock on the wall. The time was 7:30 p.m.

---------------------

Thank you for reading!

Do you like this chapter? Do let me know that you loved it by giving the chapter a vote.

Next Chapter: A Hard Decision