Trap

Next Day

Felipe Altamirano Alvarez Espadachín

"That's where they went?" I asked the chief, standing on the slope facing the 'forbidden forest', with Luismar by my side, translating every word that the chief spoke in his language for me. The breeze was warm and the sun was blazing hot, while the clouds were not there except for a few puffs of them here and there. It was a bright, sunny day. I stared at the forest below, searching for signs or clues of the duo who wanted to play 'heroes'. My colleagues and I interviewed every warrior in the village about the duo. Their accounts matched. The two were normal policemen, who did their duties well until they decided to go into the forest.

To strike out the possibilities of murder, Luismar asked the chief, "How was the relationship between your tribe and the two officers?"

"Quite rough, but never violent," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, understanding the bit about a rough relationship with the policemen.

"Well there was this one night when the policemen drank too much of liquor and he misbehaved with one of our girls here in the tribes. One of the men here tried to kill the taller one, but we stopped that bloodshed from happening by telling that man that these two policemen were drunk," the chief said.

"Anthony Mancebo and Pedro Graciani! No wonder!" muttered Luismar under her breath, "they were the ones making unwanted advances to Sofía Tasis during the last Police dinner."

"Could you excuse us?" I asked the chief, gesturing with my hand to Luismar that we should talk aside.

Luismar and I walked a few paces from where we stood with the chief, and I asked her, "What do you think? The chief and the tribesmen conspired to kill Mancebo and Graciani, and use the incidents that happen in this forest to hide their act?"

"That could be," said Luismar.

"I've always felt something strange about this old man," I said pointing to the chief with my eyes.

Luismar looking at the chief told me, "These tribesmen could do anything because of their belief in their false gods. Anything might have happened to Mancebo and Graciani, even human sacrifice."

"This is a serious thing. A Police officer has been assaulted. I think we must have two teams in this case. One must dig up places in the village to check if there is any bone or pieces of flesh buried by these tribals. The other must go into the forest and check where these two went, if and if they actually tried to play 'Hercule Poirot!' If they're found alive, I'm gonna make sure that these two will be punished so much that they'll never foolishly try to play the 'Hollywood detective' again." I adjusted my wallet, which was stuffed into my pocket, and stared at the chief, who by then was talking with a woman, possibly his wife.

Claire Dakota

I was sitting in front of the mirror, applying sunscreen on my face. I was to go to Calle Juanes to buy some books. It was a sunny day that day. Headmistress Longhorn would be arriving in five days. She was in Madrid, waiting for her flight to Santa Cruz De La Sierra. Bethany Brewer, the Assistant Headmistress, was in charge of Wolfgang Academy, while Miss Longhorn was traveling. Before I left my room, I made sure to grab the Chinese fan, which I vigorously waved as I walked downstairs, amid that hot air. I checked my watch: the time was '04:00 p.m'.

Many days had passed since the day I last spoke with the Police officers. However, they made sure to take care of my accommodation. They told me that I could stay for as long as I wanted.