Princesa Irene

Shifaly Udawatte

After we had left our hotel in La Paz, the first place we had headed was Cochabamba, which was ten hours far from the city. There were plenty of places that we had seen during our four-day stay in Cochabamba: Museo Convento Santa Teresa, the huge Cristo de la Concordia statue, and, Palacio Portales, to name a few. On the fourth day, our teachers received confirmation about a seven-day stay at a dam that had been planned for us by the Bolivian Electricity Board. So, once our trip to Cochabamba had been over, we headed north for the dam on a bus.

There had been so much travel by bus during those days that even though I had a mild case of motion sickness before coming to Bolivia, it went away due to my body being forced to adjust to bus travel. There was no other alternative, besides going on foot, so I had to adjust. But I'm glad that I had lost my motion sickness; it was a pain whenever I used to go on road trips in Sri Lanka with my mother.

I didn't know the name of the dam we had been heading to. All I had remembered was that on the previous night when we had been traveling to it, the last signboard I had seen was one stating 'Puerto Grande: 200 km." From that point on there had been no signboards or lights, only dense, dark forest, and hills until the bus had finally stopped in front of a large multistoried wooden cabin, which was our accommodation.

"Students, today we are going to a tour of the dam La Abuela De Princesa Irene. Thanks to the Bolivian Electricity Board, I can show you some of the things we had learned in physics class, in the dam," said Ms. Dayani when all of us had gathered in front of the wooden cabin.

I hated being woken up that early, but Sri Lankan teachers were disciplinarian even on holidays. And, disobedience came with consequences that would follow us after school reopened. So grumbling, I had joined other students in assembling in front of our accommodation, early in the morning. This trip better be good or else...or else I suffer. I can't do anything if I don't like it anyways.

"Now I know you are punished, Basura," began Mr. Seneviratne. "However, after discussing with Ms. Dayani, we decided that if you behave, we can allow you to hang out with your friends," he added.

Excuse me? How could you decide this without consulting me? After he beat me up and slung dog shit on my face? I thought, irritated at Mr. Seneviratne, still fuming over the fact that when I had gone to his room to complain about Basura he just shut us out.

Malindu and Agash, friends of Basura, cheered, clapping their hands when Mr. Seneviratne said that. They even wagged their tongues at me until Miss. Dayani stared them down.

"But.." Mr. Seneviratne added. "You must apologize to Shifaly for your behavior, and make a promise to her not to bully or trouble her."

Basura's eyes dilated as he looked rapidly at Miss. Dayani and then at Mr. Seneviratne. Miss. Dayani nodded. Then, his eyes met mine. He pursed his lips after letting out a sign. After lowering his head, he walked towards me, causing Avanthi to drop her jaw in disbelief, her forehead puckered. Some sniggered while others like Avanthi gaped in surprise as they witnessed Basura walk a seemingly long walk of shame.

My jaw hung half-opened in disbelief as I watched Basura come towards me, perspiration pouring down his crinkled forehead. Those few seconds of walking up to me seemed like moments to him, as if he was Atlas, bearing the weight of the whole world..

Finally, he stood in front of me and extended his hand but didn't raise his face to see my eyes. "I...I...I am s...s...sorry!" he muttered, his face still facing his shoes.

After threatening to kill me, you want to apologize now? I wondered. His hand was still stretched out as he waited for me to shake it, his head still hanging low. I glanced at Mr. Seneviratne who was biting his lips and narrowing his eyes at me. Then, my eyes shifted to Miss. Dayani who nodded, before they returned to Basura's hand.