The Pit

Hernanda Wilkinson

It was pouring heavily. I climbed down the tree hastily; I feared that it had seen me. If it had, it wouldn't go well for Kirt and Alice. The things I witnessed from the tree horrified me. My mind was filled with images of what I saw and that demoness' face. "Timothy?" His body remained in the same position that it was lying in when he fell off the tree. I shook him, but he didn't even stir. "Timothy, please don't shut down on me! Say something!" Is he dead? "Timothy, please!" He lay perfectly still. Afraid of breaking his bones, I gently tipped his body over; I was careful to do that slowly despite the tension and fear that the man who was at the window was getting ready to chase us. I managed to flip Timothy over without breaking a bone. There was no significant injury, but there were many lacerations on Timothy's body because when he fell, he scraped the bark of the tree on his way down. His nose was bleeding, but his skull was intact. The fall from the tree dislocated his elbow.

The demoness will come at any moment. We had to go away from that place. No matter how I tried to wake Timothy up, he was still unconscious. Finally, I dragged him away into the forest to escape before that creature got to us. It reminded me of what Shifaly told me about. La Negra. That's the name I chose for her: the demoness.

AnnSophia Fabron

Tom's condition worsened. When he woke up that night, he puked on the bed. Melinda, Eustacio, MariaRosa, and I rushed to his side and were horrified at what we saw. His vomit was bloody. Long, thick worms were swimming in it. His eyes were bloodshot, and his skin yellow. He was sick. His nose began bleeding.

"What should we do, Eustacio?" Melinda asked, expecting an answer. Eustacio had earlier decided to cancel his plans to go to the nearest police station, which was about a day and a half away, after he saw that there was a storm

"I'll get a car, immediately, We need to get him to the doctor," Eustacio said.

I knew that Melinda and Eustacio knew what disease that Tom contracted. Their expressions revealed it.

"But from where?" Melinda asked.

"The Bustamentes."

I tried wiping the blood off Tom's mouth, but Melinda forbade me to do that.

"You just got better. I don't want you to get sick," Melinda admonished me. Grabbing the handkerchief from my hand, Melinda wiped Tom's mouth. He threw up once again. There were more worms this time.

Eustacio got on his boat and rushed towards the Bustamente's estate which was downriver amid the thunder and rain. All of us who were at the farmhouse hoped that Eustacio would reach the estate as soon as possible.

Felipe Altamirano Alvarez Espadachín

The rains worsened. A massive storm engulfed eastern Bolivia. Our services were required; I redirected the entire police detachment charged with taking care of the forest to helping the officers at Roboré. We had to abandon other cases for a while because the emergency was pressing. We boarded our jeeps and hurried to Roboré. On the highway itself, we had to attend to fifteen cases.

Hernanda Wilkinson

I buried Timothy beneath a pile of leaves in some part of the forest. I couldn't drag him with me. I hid him in such a way that while he could breathe, to someone else's eye, he would appear only as a mound of leaves. It was raining heavily. I couldn't see where I was. I hoped that I'd remember where I buried Timothy. That monster was chasing us a few minutes ago, but then he disappeared. I walked about aimlessly from the place where I hid Timothy, panting. I couldn't see anything because it was raining. Lightning lit up the sky above occasionally, followed by thunder; but, besides it, there was no light in the sky; the moon was veiled. The forest was eerily silent. That demoness was nowhere around. Taking a deep breath, I sat next to a tree panting. I was dripping wet because of the storm.

Suddenly I felt a hand grab my arm. I looked to my right. My face morphed into an expression of sheer horror. It was her: La Negra. I stared into her green eyes and hideous, bloodstained, black, wrinkled, smelly face. I tried to free myself from her grip but couldn't. She held me tightly. She dragged me closer. I resisted but couldn't liberate myself. I looked around for a weapon. There was nothing within my immediate reach to attack her with. I grabbed onto the mud, hoping that it would give me some grip that'll prevent the creature from dragging me away. But the demoness was strong. She was pulling me tightly. I noticed that as my hand was moving on the floor, I was scooping mud. Grabbing a lump of clay, I slung it towards her face. It missed. The fiend gripped my kneck tightly, her nails about to pierce into my neck's blood vessels. I could sense my own pulse and the sound of my own heart beating in my ear. I grabbed another chunk of slush and hurled it. Splack! Mud covered the demoness' eyes. She pushed me on the ground. I managed to grab a stone. I threw the rock on her head. The fiend writhed in pain and let go of my neck. I fell across the muddy ground, gasping for air. The poltergeist was struggling and moaning in pain. I thought of taking a rock and killing her (for some reason I thought I could kill that demoness) but couldn't gather the strength to do it. I ran away into the forest. She didn't follow me. I feared that it might have become impossible and would have been chasing us.

AnnSophia Fabron

A car arrived in the unused driveaway of the house. Eustacio got out, along with an old man who was more muscular than Eustacio and a bit taller. Melinda, who was waiting for Eustacio by the window, ran downstairs to open the door.

"Get the boy quickly!" demanded Eustacio.

I tried to help Melinda, but she said, "Remember what I told you? I don't want you to get sick. Don't worry, we'll manage them."

From the room, Bustamente and Eustacio carried Tom to the car. Tom was in a fit of whooping cough and continuous puking. MariaRosa stared at me in confusion. Even she was forbidden from helping Tom by Melinda.

We all went to the driveaway. The sky was thick with storm clouds. The sky showered the earth with an incessant, heavy downpour. The moon was completely invisible. Bustamente shut the door of his car after putting Tom inside.

Eustacio ran up to his wife, who held his hand and said, "Take care of yourself."

"I will," he said.

"Can I come with you?" I asked.

"No," said Eustacio, "stay with Melinda."

I didn't argue. I listened to Eustacio. Once they were ready, Bustamente and Eustacio went with Tom towards the main road in their car.

Melinda told me that they had to get Tom admitted to a hospital as soon as possible.

My dress was dripping wet. The car soon vanished out of sight. We all went back to the house.

Hernanda Wilkinson

I found Timothy. He was still in the pile of leaves inside, in which I buried him. He didn't wake up. I knew that it was dangerous if we stayed close to the house. We had to go quite far from that hellhole. I dragged him I walked through the forest, being careful not to injure him. We passed by a bush and a few crooked trees. I was weary from all the running. I stopped for a while and laid Timothy on the forest floor. I looked up at the sky and wished that the downpour would stop. I felt something under my shirt. I put my hand inside my shirt to check what it was. It was what I expected. Leeches. I tried shaking them off, but they didn't come out. Then I looked at Timothy. I lifted his shirt and was shocked to see a lot of leeches feeding off his back. The ground beneath me began to shake. "What in the world..."

The ground beneath me disintegrated. I lost my balance. I began falling along with Timothy down a hole. My heart skipped two beats. My breathing grew shallow. I looked below me in horror.

Thud! I landed hard at the bottom of a pit. I realized that we had stepped over a hunting pit. I looked at Timothy. It didn't look like he sustained more injuries. I looked at the place. It seemed unused, with plastered walls. On the floor, there were pieces of wood and a pile of leaves. The pieces of wooden bars that once supported the facade of the forest floor that covered the pit, before Timothy and I fell right into it.

My back hurt. I couldn't move. The plastered hole began filling with water.

------
Thank you for reading!

Do you like this chapter? Do let me know that you loved it by giving the chapter a vote.

Next Chapter(Episode): Round Two