Chapter 27

KAITLYNN

I gripped my wand in my hand and started making my way to the stairs to go confront him, but I was stopped and bulled back by Harry. He looked at me warningly and shook his head.

"How do you know what I am?" Draco's voice sounded afraid and broken. And everything in me wanted to pull his body against mine and make him feel better. "I've done things that would shock you." He said.

I frowned when I realised that maybe I didn't know Draco at all.

"Like cursing Katy Bell? And trying to bring a cursed necklace to me?" Dumbledore asked him with a frown.

So he did do it. Harry was right. Draco did curse that girl. And he tried to curse Dumbledore as well.

"Forgive me, Draco. But these actions were so weak that your heart couldn't possibly have been in them." Dumbledore said. My eyes drifted to Draco and I saw that his whole body was shaking now. He didn't want to do this. I could see it in his eyes. But then why was he?

"He trusts me! I was chosen!" Draco spat and then lifted the sleeve of his shirt, revealing a tattoo on his arm of a skull with a snake wrapped around it. "I don't understand." I whispered at Harry, careful that no one else heard me.

"He's a death eater, Kate." Harry said with a look of pity on his face. "He follows Voldemort."

I could feel my heart constrict at that information. No. Not my Draco. But the evidence was in front of me right now. Looking me dead in the eye. And I felt tears threaten to fall from my eyes. But I held them back. I needed to see first. I know he wouldn't do this. That's not who he is.

"I shall make it easy for you." Dumbledore said holding out his wand. But Draco was quick. He pointed his wand at Dumbledore and called out "Expeliarmus!" and Dumbledore's wand went flying to the other side of the room, leaving him defenceless.

Come on Draco... This is not who you are. Prove to me that my faith in you wasnt wrong.

"Very good." Dumbledore said softly and looked at Draco with a sad smile. Just as Harry took out his own wand and pointed it at Draco from underneath, a door opened on the top floor and Dumbledore looked at Draco quizzically. "There are others. How?" Dumbledore asked.

"The vanishing cabinet in the room of requirement." Draco explained with a shaky breath. Was he talking about that ugly closet thing in that store room I found him with the other day? The day he killed the bird?

"Draco. Years ago I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please let me help you." Dumbledore said. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Harry backing up, his wand still pointed at Draco.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know if I should take Harry's wand from him or to point my own wand at Draco. I wanted to rush up there and help Dumbledore and tell Draco to stop whatever he's doing, but something told me to stay put.

I trusted Draco. He wouldn't do this.

"I don't want your help!" Draco said, but I could tell he didnt mean it.

"Don't you understand? I have to do this." He said brokenly. "Draco." I whispered, feeling my hands shake in anticipation.

"I have to kill you or he's going to kill her." He whispered. My eyes widened and I jumped forward to get to Draco. I needed him to see me. I needed him to realise I was going to be fine if he would just stop this craziness.

But I was caught and held back by Harry. I glared at him as a tear rolled down my cheek. "Let go." I whispered. Stop it. "You can't be put in danger. He asked me to stop you." Harry explained. "What are you talking about?" I asked.

Harry swallowed and looked back at Draco. "He's not alone. And his friends were instructed to kill you if you interfere."

"So you knew about this?" I asked in horror. "No. I didn't know what his plan was. Otherwise I would have stopped him long ago." He said. "Please." I said, my lip trembling. "Let me help him." I begged.

"I'm so sorry Katy." Harry whispered.

Our attention was grabbed back to the situation when the three people I saw earlier walk up next to Draco.

"Well look what we have here." The lady with the crazy hair spoke, looking at Dumbledore. She slowly walked over to Draco and leaned down to him. "Well done Draco." She praised and I saw him shiver as he tried to hide the disgust on his face.

"Good evening Bellatrix." Dumbledore said looking at the lady. That's why she was so familiar. Her name was Bellatrix Lestrange. She was in the papers a lot before being sent to Azkaban for being one of Voldemort's most loyal followers. She was Draco's aunt.

"I'm afraid were on a bit of a tight schedule." She said to Dumbledore.

"Do it!" She said suddenly turning towards Draco. And I struggled against Harry again, needing to get to Draco with every fibre of my being.

Draco just stood there conflict evident on his face. He was having an inner battle with himself and I could feel my body shaking with fear. He wouldn't do this.

"Don't do it Draco." I whispered softly, hoping he could hear me. But I knew he couldn't.

Suddenly, Harry's head snapped back and mine did too as I tried to see what he was seeing. And I saw Professor Snape with his wand pointed towards us. I thought he was going to expose us, but he only lifted his finger up to his lips gesturing for us to keep quiet as Bellatrix yelled at Draco again. "Do it Draco!"

I sigh of relief left my lips. Snape was here to help. He could get Draco out of this mess. But something inside of me told me that, that isn't why hes here.

"Go on Draco! Now!" Bellatrix yelled again making my eyes snap up to them.

Draco was standing closer to Dumbledore now, but he was shaking in fear.

Then Snape made his way up the stairs and interrupted them. "No." He said. And I felt like a bridge has just been lifted off my shoulder. Draco spun around in surprise and looked at Snape, lowering his wand.

"Severus." Dumbledore said, addressing Snape. "Please."

And then it felt like time slowed down.

Snape lifted his wand and yelled out one of the three forbidden curses.

"Avada Kedavera!" He yelled and pointed his want.

And with a flash of green light shooting out of his wand, Professor Dumbledore flew back and fell out of the tower window.

________________________________

Okay for those of you who don't know.

AVADA KEDAVERA is a killing curse. It kills instantly and that is why it was forbidden by the ministry of magic.

Carry on