Chapter 16

KAITLYNN

I was late! I was so late! I promised Harry I would meet up with him at the library today, but I fell asleep and it was extremely dark outside. Maybe he was still there though. The halls were empty and deserted and the only thing I could hear were of my shoes hitting the floor as I rushed to my destination. Just as I rounded the corner I saw Draco and professor Snape rushing along the hallway.

I froze and jumped back behind the corner, trying to hear what they were so heatedly talking about.

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't! What's it to you?" Draco spat. Professor Snape grabbed Draco by the collar and shoved him against the wall, forcing Draco to look at him. I inched forward, wrapping my hand around my wand. Just in case.

"I swore to protect you!" Snape whispered harshly. "I made the unbreakable vow."

Protect him? Protect him from what? Was Draco in some sort of danger?

"I don't need protection!" Draco argued. "I was chosen for this. Out of all others, ME. And I won't fail him!"

My eyes widened. Him? Who was he talking about? If it wasn't Snape then who could it possibly be? And how was Snape involved in it in the first place? How could a student and a teacher possibly be in the same kind of trouble.

"You're afraid, Draco." Snape countered. "You tend to conceal it but it's obvious. Let me assist you."

"No! I was chosen. This is my moment!" Draco said. My eyes widened again as I realised they started walking again. I quickly turned tail and ran back to the dorm rooms before Draco could get there.

What had Draco got himself into? And what was he afraid of? More importantly WHO was he so afraid of. And what is HE making Draco do that's got him so rattled. Suddenly, all of Draco's moods the past few weeks made complete sense. He was stressed. And I needed to find out about what.

So I silently slipped past the prefects and snuck into Draco's dorm room while everyone was out at the quitditch game.

*

Come on Kaitlynn. Think.

If you were Draco, where would you hide important things you wouldn't want anyone to see. I've carefully been rummaging around his room trying to look for something that could tell me what Draco is up to. And I wanted to help him. Its obvious he was in extreme trouble and I wanted him out of it.

Does it have something to do with Voldemort?

There's only one way to find out. I needed to find something that could give me a clue as to what Draco was being forced to do.

I carefully lifted up his mattress and looked under and inside his pillows. There was nothing under his bed and his closet had no valuable information. My eyes landed on a big wooden chest at the foot of his bed and I rushed to it.

I looked back at the door and listened if there was anyone coming into the room. Mainly Blaze. He was the one sharing a room with Draco.

I slowly opened the lid of the chest when I heard the ghost was clear. I rummaged through its contents and found nothing interesting. Come on Draco. Give me something. I whispered and knocked my hand down on the bottom of the chest in frustration.

I froze when the wood made a hollow sound.

"Malfoy you sneaky git." I mumbled and felt along the edges of the bottom of the chest. I felt a gap between the walls and gently lifted, biting my bottom lip in anticipation. And it lifted up. Of course. A false bottom. I should have known him better than that.