Chapter 11

KAITLYNN

I was sitting next to Pansy the next day in charms class, waiting for our professor to begin the lesson. Professor Flitwick was a short grubby little man that reached me about knee high. His grey hair was always wild and you couldnt see where his hair began and beard ended.

He cleared his throat as he stepped onto the pile of books behind the podium in his class and glared at all the students who were talking. He always had to stand on that pile of books to be able to see over his own desk, which Malfoy never failed to comment upon.

"Good afternoon class. Today we're going to be learning a more powerful charm. Much more complex than the charms I usually teach you and definitely more dangerous to perform." He said, rushing out the words tiredly like he usually does.

My interest was piqued as I began to pay more attention.

"We will be learning the Obliviate Charm today." He said and flipped through a book on his podium. "I've read about this charm! It's pretty complex." Pansy whispered. "Please turn to page 364 in your books." Professor Flitwick said and all of us did so.

"Obliviate is a term meaning forget. A memory charm resulting in the erasure of the recipients memory. Also known as the Forgetfulness Charm. It is a charm that can be used to erase specific memories from an individual's mind." The professor rambled on.

"If preformed incorrectly, Obliviate can cause brain damage and can erace significant portions of an individual's memory, with severe difficulty in recovery." He continued.

"So there's a cure for the charm?" Harry asked interrupting the professor. Professor Flitwick contemplated his answer. "Yes. But it can only be broken by severe torture charms. Which is why we won't be practicing the charm." He answered. "Such as, professor?" Hermione asked.

Professor Flitwick frowned. "Spells like... the Crucio curse." He said. "But professor, that spell was banned by the ministry." I spoke suddenly, wide eyed as I remembered the reason my father was sent to Azkaban.

"Exactly miss Graham. Which is why once you have performed Obliviate you must accept the fact that you will not be able to reverse the curse at all. Resulting in PERMANENT loss of the memory you wished to erase." He said

He then went on with the lesson, explaining the curse in detail and such as I stared absentmindedly at my handbook.

Memories of the day before my father was arrested came to mind and I swallowed hard remembering the pain and suffering me and my mother went through.

*

As I was walking towards the great hall for lunch, I was stopped at the entrance by Harry.

"Can we please talk?" He asked softly. "Not now Harry." I said looking everywhere but at him. "Please, Kaitlynn. I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't know it was you behind me." He said guilt evident in his eyes. "But it was me Harry." I said with a frown.

"I know. And if I had known that then I would have never done what I did, darling." He said, reaching out to caress my cheek. I froze as his hand came in contact with my skin. Once again missing the spark that I craved so much. "I'm so sorry, Katy." He whispered.

I sighed and leaned my face into his palm. "It's okay, Harry." I said. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me against his chest. My arms automatically went around his waist as I let him hold me.

I couldn't be mad at him forever. After all, it was an accident.

*

After school I made my way to professor Snapes class for detention. Luckily I was on time this time. I felt a little better now that Harry and I have spoken. I was still a bit off about the whole situation between us but as I said earlier he couldnt have known it was me behind him.

I walked into the classroom and saw Draco standing by professor Snape. They were whispering to each other in an urgent manner but stopped when they noticed me. Draco's intense silver eyes met mine and I felt my breath hitch in my throat.

We stared at each other for a moment, getting lost in each others eyes. I blinked and cleared my throat, looking away from his intense stare. "You will be cleaning the mucus jars today. Get to it." Snape said suddenly and stalked out of the class.

Ugh. Of course he makes us clean the mucus jars. I groaned stalking over towards the rack where the jars stood. The mucus jars were jars filled with goblin mucus professor Snape had on hand for the potions and every once in a while the jars needed to be cleaned. And whoever was in detention when they needed to be cleaned were the lucky ones who got to do it.

And this time it was me and Draco.

I sighed, picking up the mucus covered flask. "Eew." I said with disgust etched on my face. Draco chuckled and made his way over to where I was standing also grabbing a flask. He seemed in one of his better moods today, which was a good thing I think.

He smeared some green coloured mucus on his hand accidentally, which made me laugh at the disgusted look on his face. "You think thats funny, do you?" He asked with an evil smile. My eyes widened at the realisation of what he was about to do.

"No! I dont!" I said hastily, taking a step away from him. He took a step closer to me and an unknown glint crossed his eyes. "Oh, but I think you do." He said and suddenly lunged at me. I screamed and ducked out of his grip, running towards the back of the class with Draco chasing me. I laughed as he stumbled into a desk.

"You're not getting away, Graham!" He yelled and advanced towards me again. "No!" I squealed and turned to run again, but I felt his arms circling around me and pulling me back against his body. "Draco let me go!" I demanded, a heartfelt laugh coming from my lips. His mucus covered hand inched closer to me and I struggled against him.

"If you touch me with that shit then youre dead." I threatened. He chuckled and let me go thankfully. He turned to the basins and cleaned up his hand. I smiled at the good mood he was in. We're getting along so well the last couple of days and to be honest it was nice.

I bit my lip, debating if he was in a good enough mood to be asked about Voldemort. "What are you thinking about?" He asked, starting to clean up a jar again. I sighed and made my way next to him, also picking up a jar to start cleaning. Here goes nothing.

"I was wondering If the rumours are true." I started. I didn't know how to ask him this. "What rumours?" He asked raising an eyebrow. "That... He who must not be named - is back." I said softly, carefully watching his reaction. He dropped the jar as soon as I said it and stared at me in shock. His shock turned into anger immediately and he grabbed my arm, pulling me closer to him.

"Where did you hear that?!" He demanded. My eyes widened at his sudden outburst. "It's a rumour that's been going around, Draco." I said. "Stay out of it, Kate! I'm serious!" He spat. I tried getting my arm out of his grip, but he wouldnt budge. "Draco, let go of me." I said. "Don't go near anything or anyone that has to do with... Him. Do you understand me?!" he demanded again. "Alright Draco! I'll leave it alone." I said quickly as his tone and expression started scaring me.

He looked down at his hand wrapped around my arm and immediately let me go. "Stay away from me." He spat and rushed out of the classroom.

My mouth hung open.

What the actual hell?!

DRACO

I rushed to the boys bathroom as fast as I could; it felt like I couldn't breathe. My chest felt constricted and it felt like I was drowning.

I burst into the bathroom and stumbled to the sink. I exhaled and looked at myself in the mirror. I was a shaking mess. And I needed to control myself. How did she find out about The dark lord? She could be in so much danger if she asked about him to the wrong person. Like Snape. If she had asked Snape I didn't know what he would do.

I took deep breaths to calm myself down. She's fine. She didn't know for certain. And she thankfully didn't know about what I was tasked with. I met my own silver eyes in the mirror. If she knew what I had to do she'd hate me forever.

I walked back to the dorm rooms, silently wondering if doing this would be worth it if it would make her hate me in the end.