Chapter 28

KAITLYNN

Harry's hand went over my mouth and stifled the cry that fell out of my lips.

A tear slipped from my eye as I watched Dumbledore fall to his death. Both of us were shaking and shock filled my body at what just happened. I'm sure if it wasnt for me, Harry would have been up there by now, fighting for Dumbledore. But he was down here with me, trying to keep me safe because of Draco's warning.

I saw Draco's face contort in pain and sadness as Snape and the rest of them rushed away as fast as they could. "Come Draco!" Bellatrix commanded and disappeared out of the tower. Harry let go of me and ran after them, probably to go and confront Snape now that my life was out of danger.

I watched Draco from below as silent sobs vibrated my body. He was staring out of the window where Dumbledore had fell, his wand now hanging loose by his side.

I forced myself to get up from the ground and I ran upstairs.

"Draco." I gasped, my mind still not registering what had happened.

He turned towards me, his eyes widening in surprise. "Kaitlynn." He said softly. I saw then how broken he really was. His eyes were almost lifeless and hollow, staring back at me. "I... Why?" I asked softly.

"He threatened to have you killed." He whispered. "Once he found out how I felt about you."

"B-but What now?" I asked, my hands shaking at my sides.

"I need to go with them, Kate." He said. "No! Draco we can go somewhere. Anywhere and get away from everything. Away from all of this. We can be together." I said. Draco gave me a sad smile. "Where can we go where he wont find us?" He asked.

I opened my mouth to answer, but nothing came out. Because I didn't have an answer. There was nowhere he wouldn't find us.

Before I could say anything, Draco stalked over to me and put his hands on both sides of my face. He looked into my eyes and studied them, like he was trying to etch them into his memory. And then he pressed his lips to mine.

And I almost gasped in surprise at the nature of the kiss. It was soft and slow. Different from all of our other kisses. It wasn't rough or violent, but it was passionate in a complete other way then it usually was. And then I knew that this was our last kiss. That he was saying goodbye.

When I realised that, I let the tears start to fall freely. And it mixed with our lips and his fingers on my cheeks.

I clung to him, not wanting to let him go. I wanted to pull him against me and I wanted him to tell me that everything was going to be okay. That this was all just some sick joke he played on me to get me back for the itching powder. But I knew it wasn't. And I knew he was giving me my last memory of him

After a long moment, he pulled away from me and gave me a soft kiss on my head

He then stepped away and straightened himself, clutching his wand in his hand. "You have to forget me, love." He said softly, frowning at his own words. "W-what?" I asked, not really sure where he was going with this. "You have to let me go." He explained.

"No! Draco just take me with you. Just let me be with you!" I said, not knowing what words would spill out of my mouth next. "No! You'll be in too much danger." He said shaking his head. "I can take care of myself Draco." I argued.

"Not against him." He said. I walked to him and wrapped my arms around his neck, but he only took my hands in his and rubbed his fingers over my knuckles.

He then took out a silver ring from his pocket. It was the silver ring that I found in his chest the other day. He showed me the inside of the ring where the initials D.K were engraved.

"It stands for Draco and Kaitlynn. I wanted to give this to you as a friendship ring last year before you told me about Potter." He said. I looked at him in surprise. "I told you I have a lot of secrets Kate." He said.

He then tapped his wand against the ring and then another few words appeared on it.

'She is now my biggest secret.'

He slipped the ring on my middle finger and kissed my hand tenderly.

"Please forgive me." He whispered and before I could ask him for what, he snatched my wand out of my pants and stepped away from me.

"What are you doing Draco?" I asked with a shaky voice.

He sighed heavily and with a shaky hand he raised his wand to me. My mouth suddenly went dry as our eyes met across the distance.

"Draco... What are you-?"

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

And it hit me that this is the first time hes ever apologised me.

"Draco stop it. This isn't funny." I said as my heart started hammering loudly against my ribcage. I didn't like where this was going at all, but there was no way I could stop him. He took my wand and without it Im left defenceless.

"You need to forget about me, Kate.' He said again, but this time his voice was more emotional. Like he just realised how serious the situation was and what the consequences of him doing this were.

"What are you talking about?!" I cried angrily.

"If I leave will you be able to swear that youll never try to find me?" He asked. But I have a feeling he already knew the answer.

"I... I can't." I said honestly. There was no use lying to him. He knew me too well.

"Which is why I have to do this. I'm so sorry Katy." He whispered.

My eyes widened as I realised what he was about to do. I started shaking my head frantically as tears freely fell from my eyes.

"Draco no! Don't do this to me!" I cried as I took a wounded step back from him.

"I don't know what else to do." He admitted and I saw his bottom lip tremble.

"Anything but this!" I yelled. "I have to. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you because I was too selfish to let you go." He said.

"Nothing will happen to me Draco!" I tried arguing with him. I tried talking sense into him. But it was obvious he wasn't going to listen to me. He was set on doing this. And nothing I said or did would be able to change his mind. And that's when I realised he cared about me. Truly and deeply cared about me.

"Nothing can guarantee that." He said softly and our eyes met for the last time.

"Please... Don't." I said as a sob escaped my lips.

"I love you." He said and my heart skipped a beat.

He loved me. Draco Malfoy loved me. And then I gave up. He's not going to stop this.

"I-I love you too." I said.

And as a single tear fell from his eye he whispered the one word that would erase him from my mind forever.

"Obliviate."

THE END