Chapter 25

Narrator POV

It's been a week since Toya's big party and life seemed good. It seems as though her grandmother may yet to see her graduate. She's getting sicker but they've figured out a way for her grandmother to see her graduation through a webcam. Toya was happy, really. She has her love Rashid there with her, Britt moved out and started living on her own and is loving it, Shad and Malik are young and happy. Xavier, well, he's trying to get on the straight and narrow. He's put himself in enough gambling debt. Now he had to figure out a way to pay this money off and win Britt back.

Little did he know that is was too little too late. None of them knew what's to come next and no one is prepared for it. Not Rashid. Not the gang. And definitely not Toya. She's smack dead in the middle of a dangerous turf war and she had no idea.

~

The place was a zoo. So many people were there that day. No one noticed such a plain face with a bouqet of flowers. No one saw this face slip into the room. This plain woman lay there sleeping with not a clue in the world. They pulled out a needle and quickly injected the woman. She woke up quick. Her heart started pounding in her chest and it tightened.

A nurse walked in. The mystery person pushed them out the way and ran out the hospital. "Oh my god! Get a doctor!" They went to work trying to save this woman but their efforts were futile. The flatline was all you could hear. 

"Call it," the doctor said.  

"Death 11:15AM, April 17, 2014. Lizzy Miles." :'(

Toya POV

Oh my god I'm so happy. Not only did I finish and aced my final project but I literally have no more classes. All I needed was three and I finished those early. No more school until graduation for me. Oh my god I couldn't wait. I've been to this school for too long. I'm ready to leave.

"Babe your phone is ringing," Rashid called me. He's in my room and I was in the kitchen looking for my Rice Krispy Treats.

"Answer it for me." I found them behind the honey buns in my snack cabinet. I took out three. I love Rice Krispy Treats! "Babe you want a snack?" I turned and he was standing there. "Rashid I said stop sneaking up on me. I'm going to stab you one day." I tilted my head to the side. "Why you got on yo clothes and why you look like that?" Before you start thinking it, no we ain't fucked. We were just chillin.

"Latoya." Now I'm worried. He don't call me by my full name unless it's something serious.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know how to say this but...your grandmother died."

I was quiet. She's not dead. I just saw her yesterday. I shook my head. "No she's not. I just spoke to her. She was fine. She said she's going to see me graduate." He hugged me and I tried pushing him off. "Get off she's not dead!"

"Baby, yes she is. I wouldn't lie to you."

Tears started forming. "Please, she can't die. She promised she wouldn't leave me. She said she'll see me graduate."

"I know baby, it's okay." I finally broke down. Mama can't die. She promised she'll see me walk across the stage and get my diploma.

Rashid POV

Damn I've never felt so bad about something in my life. Toya was finally happy, finally opening her heart. Then this bull shit. I ain't gon lie that shit got to me too. I really liked Toya's grandmother. She would be the kind of grandmother I would've liked to have. 

Toya been too depressed to tell Shad. I told her I would do it. "Wassup Ra?" Shad and Malik came in from school.

"Aye man, y'all come here."