Chapter 12

Toya POV

"Toya," Shad shook me. I groaned because I literally just fell asleep like five hours ago. "Come on, get up. It's the third Saturday."

"I'm up," I yawned.

"Yuck you need to brush your teeth."

"You need to get your little ass out my room before I hurt you." After he left I got up and did my hygiene thing. I threw on some fitted jeans and a crop top. My eyes were dry from exhaustion and they were starting to look a little red. I dabbed my eyes with a few eye drops and met my boys up front. "What do y'all want to eat?"

"We can just get McDonalds," Malik said. It has been nearly a month and it's fuckin ridiculous no one called looking for him. I went out and switched Shad's queen bed for a set of twin beds. After this visit I'm going over there to see what the fuck is going on.

"I'm in," Shad said turning the TV off.

On the way to the hospital I stopped to get their food. Once we got it, it was back on the road. "Lizzy Miles," I told the woman. She gave me the clipboard to sign us in. "Hey mama," we all walked in and hugged her.

"Hey babies, how's everything?" We spent the next three hours updating and talking to our grandmother. I swear I hate seeing her in here just as much as she hates being in here. I hate that I had to sell our house and she can't spend her last few days home with the ones she love rather than surrounded by strangers. "Toya what's wrong?"

"Nothing mama I'm fine."

"Shad, why don't you and Malik get something from the vending machine down the hall?" I gave them the money so me and mama can have our alone time. "Toya baby, you don't have to lie to me. I see it in your eyes. You're tired baby. It's a crying shame you have to be burden with all of this."

"No mama it's okay. I'm fine really." I actually wanted to cry. It is a big burden. I'm slowly sinking and I don't know how to get out of it. I try to be strong and hide my weaknesses but it's so hard. "I just got this new job and it pays twice as much as my old job. Pretty soon I'll be able to get a bigger place. Then you could move in with us."

"Baby, you're struggling enough as it is. You can't add more to a full plate. I would love to be with my grandbabies but it's better that I'm here." A few tears escaped and rolled down my face. "Be strong baby. Just wait for the storm to pass." Shad and Malik came back. "It was good seeing you all."

"Love you G Ma," Shad said. We hugged and kissed her and said our I love you's. Before going to Malik's house I stopped by Wal-Mart to get this drug test thing out the way. Afterwards I pulled up in front of his house. "Why are we here?"

"Stay in the car," I told them. I walked up the steps and banged on the door. I know someone is here because there's a car in the driveway. His mom opened the door. "Can I talk to you?" I really did try hiding the attitude I had.

"Make it quick, I have somewhere to be."

I looked around and seen some suitcases and boxes being moved. "Going somewhere?"

"What do you want?"

"What do I want? I know you did not just asked me that. It's been over a month and your son hasn't heard a thing from you. You even neglected to call and even see if he was okay."

"And?" she rolled her eyes.

"And?" Y'all know I can't hold my tongue too much. "What the fuck? That's your fuckin kid and your responsibility."

"That kid ain't my fuckin responsibility."

"Are you fucking kidding me? Is it just in the country where mother's abandon their fuckin child to any fuckin body?"