13 - The Cheshire Cat

"So," I start, coldly assessing the ruthlessness within the arch of his eyes, "Are you the Inquisitor?"
Hoplin shrugs, "I'm afraid so. You've made quite the ripple on your first day."
I look down at the dirt floor and smile, "And where are you taking me now?"
They tip their head up to the blazing sky, "Hmmmm, I don't know," A sharp whistle bursts from their lips, "How about I let you choose?" A smile full of mirth blooms on their face, "Death and... death, pick one."
My eyes roam over Hoplin's average build and amused expression.
Flickering street lamp, hoarse cries, warm blood splattering on the ground, wall, shoes, skin, rust and the overwhelming smell of petrol—
The marshmallow tinted murder they're exuding is almost sweet on my tongue. A wash of calm descends upon me. They're bluffing.
I laugh lightly and fill my voice with screams and sweat and blood and innards and pleas and cigarette smoke, "How about you choose?" I lick my lips and burn their face into my vision, "Death and death, which do you want?"
They slowly back away from me, shoes scuffling over dirt and dried grass and stones. I take a silent step forward for each step they take back in this bewitching waltz, "Hmmmmm, tell me." I whisper slowly.
An uneasy, rabbit twitching, puppy dog pitiful smile breaks along Hoplin's face, "Joking, I was just joking! I just wanted to scare you a bit."
My smile fades, and Hoplin shakes even harder, "Really? Say that again."
"I'm telling the truth! I wouldn't really hurt you, I was just playing with you." Their big brown eyes wander this way and that, "You're a really interesting person you know, I knew it from the first time we met. I just wanted to—
     My eyes jump from their body to their face then back again, "Just drop the act, it's irritating."
     Hoplin's eyes widen by another fraction, "What are you talking about? I'm not ac—
      "Drop it."
     Their eyes narrow, the tautness of their facial muscles slacken, and the frantic fear melts off their face like wax, "You really are an interesting man, Cynder Delphus." They cross their arms, "When did you know?"
     The loose hold of their arms flashes into mind, "You put too much into your face, not enough into your body."
     They click their tongue, "Should've known." A look of wily slyness crosses their face, "Aren't you an expert."
Cigarette stubs, the smell of burning skin in the woozy air, neon lights on and off, red, green, red, green—
     "That look suits you better," I tilt my head backwards and crack my neck, "What do you want?"
     Their eyes still, "What do I want? I'm really an Inquisitor, but I wanted to test you. I ended up giving myself away, but," Hoplin cracks a lopsided smirk, "You would be a good person to have as a client."
     I study their relaxed demeanour and wry grin again. Hoplin could be useful, if they were on your side, especially if they dealt with information.
     "What business do you do?"
     "Haven't you guessed?" They leave a small pause, "Information. There's nothing I don't know. There's nothing I can't tell you, of course, at a price." They take a step closer, "How about this, as a sign of peace I can give you one piece of information for free."
      Delight thrums through my blood. Anything, I can find out about anything. The owner of this body? News about elves? The Kades? Silver armour and stern words swirl into view. What the fuck?
     Shit.
"That is none of your fucking business."
Shit.
     "Stay away from Sir Ralphuus. It may not seem it, but he's the most dangerous of them all."
     Shit.
     "Tell me why Sir Ralphus is companioning the Kades."
      Hoplin blinks, then blinks again, "You mean Sir Ralphus Lumain of Mal?"
     "Yes."
      So that is his full name. Ralphus Lumain
      Their face drops, "You should ask me something else."
      An anticipation runs along my spine, "There should be nothing you don't know, or did you tell me wrong?"
     Hoplin drags a hand through their blue hair violently, "That's not it! Do you know how hard it is to find out something from Mal? All I have are rumours, rumours! Nothing concrete."
     A cold smile slides its way across my face, "Well, when can you get something concrete?"
     "A few days," they bite their lip, "probably three or four."
     An exotic melody rings through the air from out of nowhere.
     They pull up their sleeve and glance at something resembling a digital watch, "For Uhyls's sake, I'd better get you to the Inquisition first."
     They extend a palm, and a dread fills my stomach.
     "Portal?"
     "Hurry up, just take my hand."
     I place a hand into theirs, and immediately I'm reminded of Ralphus's warm, calloused palms. How many times has it been?
     The space begins to warp and change and twist, disintegrating into fragments of bright, saturated colour.
     "The board's full of hard males and females." Hoplin's voice rings from besides me, "Your plea better be good. Otherwise..."
     And the ground falls from my feet again.

                                            -

     AN: I'll try to write as soon as I can but it looks like update time is around two days or so.