Surviving The First Day

Guess's POV

"Follow me," Watari said putting his hand on my shoulder. We both went past the gates and into the orphanage with my suitcase trailing behind me. Another man with white hair approached me and gave me another sweet smile. "Oh, Guess, this is Roger, he looks after the orphanage in my absence," he said.

"Welcome to Wammy's House, Guess!" Roger exclaimed.

"Thank you," I replied timidly with a little smile. Then I bowed my head and looked at my shoes.

"Well, Guess. Let me show you to your room," Watari said. Both of us went up this grand staircase and came to a very long corridor. Watari handed you some keys, I didn't have keys in my old orphanage. I look up at him with a puzzled face. "With children being gifted and talented, it would be quite simple for them to just take something of yours," he said reasonably. I nodded and looked at the number attached to the key; 25. "Down the corridor and you should see it on your left. The toilet is at the end so not too far away. Opposite you is where Matt stays with his roommate Mello."

"Thank you Watari," I said as I headed up the corridor.

"Oh and the lunch hall is just downstairs past the office. If you ever need anything just knock on the office and Roger or I will help you. Make a friend so they can show you around."

There it was; room 25. "How long will I be staying here I wonder..." I thought to myself. I unlocked the door and went inside.

The room was fairly big with a large bed, a chest of draws, a desk and chair, and a wardrobe. I just wanted to stay in the room forever. As I unpacked my bag I started searching for a plug socket. I knew I'd be needing it. Thankfully I found one under the desk and plugged my laptop into the wall. Switching it on took about five minutes and so I carefully put my DS, games and chargers into a draw. Inside the draw next to it I put all my drawing things and sat down at my desk.

After playing games on my laptop for god knows how long, I heard a tap on the door. It's Watari.

"Guess, come downstairs for lunch! I know you haven't had anything to eat yet," he exclaimed.

"Coming," I sighed and closed my laptop ready for when I came back. I looked at myself in the mirror that was just above the chest of draws. I pulled your hood up and headed downstairs.

Looking around, I saw a load of kids hanging outside by some of the trees. Some obviously older and some younger than me.

"Right let's get out of here," I thought. I quickly hurried to get some lunch but something I heard caught my attention. I heard snickering and giggling coming from behind me. This was one thing I was kind of used to. I turned around to see a bunch of girls pointing and laughing. One of them shouted at me.

"Hey, excuse me but may it trouble you if I just ask if you're a girl or a boy?" she said from across the hall. All of the children looked at her then followed her eye line to me and some started laughing and some just stared at me blankly.

"Well, here we go again..." I mumbled under my breath. The unknown girl must have obviously seen my lips moving and shouted back at me.

"What was that?" She said cupping her hand around her ear.

"Oh, I only said..." I started but then decided to stand up for myself. New place, not like I was going to make any friends anyway, "that if you are in this orphanage you should at the very least be able to correctly identify a boy from a girl. Or is it because you're sexually confused?" I said loudly, still not quite a shout. Lots of laughs and voices filled the room and I'd never felt better in a very long time. Now this was an achievement. The girl's face became bright red and she began to head towards me; fists clenched and heels loudly clicking on the floor. I'd been hit before so I began to get into my best defensive position until I heard the clicking stop and heard a voice. A boy's voice.

"Lust, leave her be. She's new and there's no point," I unwrapped my arms from my body and head and saw the back of a boy with a striped, long-sleeved shirt and slightly red hair. He was holding the so-called Lust's wrist and her hand was still clenched in a tight fist just above her head. Lust's anger red face began to relax and then blush began to steam onto her cheeks. She gave the boy a smile and walked away back to her table with her friends.

"You ok?" The boy asked as he turned around. I saw that he was wearing orange lensed goggles and realised this was the boy Watari was talking about.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine. Thanks, Matt," I said casually then realising I had no way of knowing his name.

"How did you?..."

"Watari told me about you on the way here. Said you liked video games."

"Yeah I like video games!" He exclaimed and had a great big smile on his face. "So, um, what's your name?"

"God, sorry, I'm Yuri," I said but then quickly clasped my hand over my mouth realising what I'd just told him. My real name. "Oh damn, this is going to take some getting used to!" I laughed. It was odd, I felt at so much ease in front of this boy. This was a sensation that I hadn't felt for years.

"Don't worry about it! I was the same. My name is Mail Jeevas. But you can call me Matt of course." he said in a hushed whisper.

"Call me Guess," I told him.

I grabbed some lunch to see he was still talking to me. Like hanging out with me. After I'd finished eating and talking I invited him up to my room to play some video games. I felt this might be the start of a great friendship it felt I'd never had.

----------------------------------------------

Sorry it took me so long to upload! Just been working on another series and school work and things. Leave any suggestions you have in the comments and I'll be sure to check them out!

:3