Chapter 1

(Tartarus)

Quiet is not a word one would use to describe Tartarus, terrifying and soul crushingly dismal however would be very good words to describe the hellish place that he was currently in. These were the thoughts of one Percy Jackson as he lay on his back looking up at the red burning sky of the hell he found himself in, Tartarus.

He was not however alone as around the dark haired young man were mounds of golden dust and dozens of dying monsters, Greek and Roman monstrosities empowered by human belief. Many of these creatures called Tartarus home, whether they wanted to or not. Even as Percy lay there exhausted, his heart beating like mad, some of the monsters around him began to dissolve into golden dust as the wounds the Son of Poseidon inflicted on them finally took their toll.

Groaning in both pain and exhaustion Percy tore his eyes away from the burning sky and instead turned to look across the desolate landscape he met his end in. Tartarus is a deep and dark pit, a prison where the god's send their enemies to suffer for eternity. The place lived up to its description, the land, the air, the water, everything in this hellish place was deadly, breathing felt like inhaling razor blades and drinking felt like pouring acid down your throat. But for Percy his time here was drawing to an end.

Even with the Curse of Achilles he knew he was dying, his skin might be impenetrable in all but one place, but that did not make him invulnerable. Even now he could feel Tartarus killing him, the very air he breathed was toxic.

He had first come down to Tartarus for a girl, Annabeth Chase the Daughter of Athena. She had fallen into Tartarus and he being an idiot had jumped in after her. Their time together in Tartarus had been thankfully short but certainly not sweet, it had been a constant struggle as they traversed over the inhospitable landscape in search of the way out. There only company being Iapetus or as he now referred to himself Bob, a former Titan Lord who was now a glorified janitor with partial memory loss and a renegade giant, Damasen. Despite the challenges though they had been successful in reaching the gate and Percy had been successful in getting Annabeth out of Tartarus even if in doing so he had had to stay behind.

The gate had had a nasty little quirk to it, it had been similar to a lift in its design and workings, but with a difference as for one to use it to exit Tartarus and another must stay behind and press the up button. Which when you take into account the army of monsters and Titans that had been at the gate waiting to use it themselves so they can escape Tartarus and join Gaia in her current uprising against the Olympians. Was not an easy prospect, as such three of the four had opted to stay behind so Annabeth could escape and go help the Olympians and their chosen champions with the ongoing war.

Bob and Damasen had opted to stay behind and hold off the oncoming forces because they were immortal and naturally suited to the climate of Tartarus. Percy however had done it for a more idiotic reason, he had done it for loyalty his defining trait, it had not been in him to run away and leave two friends to face their deaths so instead he had pushed Annabeth into the lift and sent her up to the mortal world, after which he had taken out Anaklumous and charged the massive and overwhelming enemy forces a war cry on his lips.

This is what had led to him lying here dying surrounded by massive mounds of golden dust and rapidly dying monsters, the hilt of his now shattered blade Anaklumous still held tightly in his hand. For two days and two nights the three add fought against the overwhelming odds before them.

The three working in perfect synchronicity as they became a maelstrom of death. But as could be expected they had fallen one by one to their enemies. Bob had fallen first impaled through the stomach by his own brother Koios the Titan of the South's Stygian Iron great sword, but he had gone down fighting, the two of them had disappeared in churning mass of monsters, whether his friend Bob still lived or not he had no idea.