24. No one touches what belongs the King

Christopher Anderson. One of my past mistakes, I never wanted to relive again. Christopher owned his own company and he was one of the few board members of Black industries and Devil's tech. Christopher started as an investor until he heard Mr. Black needed software, that's when he became a board member. Chris rode the elevator up with me. I had to deliver my days' work to my boss, who worked on the second floor from the top. I was an intern and studying to get my marketing and management degree. Chris, not much older than me, had his trust fund and brain.

Ben, of course, my leader or whatever had already asked me out which I decline because work and pleasure never went hand in hand. Chris was persistent and I, of course, said yes. It was fine and one date turned to a couple but Ben stole my heart and Chris was pissed. Chris had Ben almost fired. It wasn't his finest hour neither mine but he never left us alone. He was always in the building until he was shipped to some country that needed his expertise. I have nothing against him, I just wanted nothing to do with him other than friends and Christoper doesn't understand that.

"Chris and I went on a few dates before Ben," I told my boss. "Christoper and I had a great friendship until he destroyed it."

Mr. Black took his seat, while Chris and I remained standing. "My condolences on your boyfriend. I know he meant a lot to you."

I took my seat. "Thank you," I said. I had gotten over the looks of pity. The apologies from people that did nothing wrong. The condolences and the worst, the loneliness. "Sir, should I leave?"

Mr. Black said nothing so I remained sitting. Christoper took a seat next to me a few seconds later. It felt uncomfortable as hell. I wanted to stand up and leave already. "Congratulations on your promotion," Christoper spoke.

"I'll wait outside by Candice," I said and walked out.

I didn't have time for Christopher and his hints on getting back in my life. He was obsessed with getting everything his way that any other way was incorrect. When I closed the door behind me, Candice's arms awaited me. She hugged me immediately. We walked towards her desk. "I heard he was in office. You could hear him down by the cafeteria," she said. "Scar dropped your lunch, I might have stolen half of it."

I shook my head at her. "Did you at least get us a drink?"

"No alcohol on the premises but I did get you a soft drink." I rolled my eyes at her joking personality.

Candice and I had lunch or what little food we had, we finished. Candice took my mind off everything. She was seeing this guy, no one knows about, not even me. She didn't want to destroy it and that makes it serious because for her it was all fun and games. Mr. Black knew about him and he approved so I guess I should accept him as well, especially since he was making my friend a happy woman.

"I feel like the whole Black family is out in field seeking life partners." Which is true in a sense because Hades has a girl, Candice has a guy and Mr. Black's victim happens to be me.

"Of cour-" she stopped mid-sentence. "Don't look now but twelve o'clock."

I took a deep breath and stood up. My phone was in Mr. Black's office so even if I wanted to go to my office, I couldn't. Most of my work is done over the phone and I mean, my phone is my life so why would I leave it?

"Rose," I turned around to face Chris. "I'm sorry, you know for what happened between us."

I nodded. "Why wait till the water turned red? All I ever wanted was for you to say sorry but you never did." I moved to walk past him but he stopped me. Candice immediately raised to her feet. "It's fine, Candy."

"Candy? Your friends with your boss's secretary?" He questioned and then smirked as if he found out something worth gold.

"She's my best friend, Christopher. You know why Ben had a better chance than you?" I pulled my arm out of his grasp. "I said no once and he respected it. He was more of a man than you'll ever be." And it happened like a movie. I felt his slap before I saw his hand. As soon as he slapped me, Candice slapped him. Tears sprung to my eyes as I held my cheek. Candice came to stand by me. "You'll never be a man, always a coward." he lifted his hand but this time it was caught by Mr. Black. "You want me to turn my other cheek, you low life." I turned away from him as he laughed. I stood behind Mr. Black's back.