Chapter 22: Dear John.

Recap:

*at Tyler's house*

Tyler walked into his house and heard his mom talking to someone. He assumed she was on the phone. But he stopped in his tracks when another female voice spoke. Tyler stood there in shock as he recognised the voice. He threw his bag to the side and walked towards the office where he saw the woman.

"Jules!"

"Tyler!" Jules greeted as she walked up to him before enveloping him in a hug.

Tyler looked at his mum in shock as he returned the hug reluctantly. "Hi, Jules," he murmured as he forced a smile.

Chapter 22:

"You're sure you're okay?" Alaric asked for the umpteenth time, causing Talia and Elena to nod patiently. 

"How did it happen? Were you speeding?" Jenna asked urgently.

Elena looked at Talia who shrugged her shoulders as she held an ice pack to her forehead. She still had lacerations on her face but they had been cleaned up by Jenna and all that was left behind was a bruise on her forehead, a small gash across her left eyebrow and a scratch on her cheek.

"Um. Talia and I were driving home when a baby deer or something jumped out in front of the car. I didn't want to kill the poor thing so I swerved a little too hard and the car turned," Elena spoke as she looked at Jenna.

"Sorry about the car, Jenna," Talia smiled cautiously.

Jenna waved it off in a shaky voice, "it's just a hunk of metal junk. I'm glad you two are okay." Jenna walked towards the girls and embraced them together. 

Talia smiled at her Dad. "Uh dad, I need to talk to you about something," 

Jenna let Talia go. "Elena and I will leave you alone. Come on Lena, help me in the kitchen," Jenna smiled.

"Oh Dad. You were having a date night thingy!" Talia said as she brought a hand up to her mouth. "Sorry we disrupted it," 

"I'm glad you're okay," Alaric murmured as her hugged Talia. 

"Me too. I gotta ask you something." Talia looked at Alaric. "Um...Elena said that she looked like this Katherine chick. Is that possible? I mean, didn't Stefan say that he was turned like over 100 years ago? So obviously Elena wasn't around at that time for Katherine to be her long lost twin or some crazy shit like that." Talia began to mutter to herself as she tried to make sense of the situation "Excuse my french," 

Alaric smiled at his daughter as she spoke. "Sweetie, you remember what a doppelganger is?" He asked.

Talia thought long and hard before she shook her head.

"Like Bonnie had said, a doppelganger is a copy of a person. Kind of like another version of that person but they have a mind of their own,"

Talia pulled a face as she mulled on this. "Eh, I can't be arsed to work out how this is possible. Talia shook her head and smiled. "Dad, did you do the you know what?" When she saw that Alaric looked confused, she sang under her breath, "if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it, don't be ma-"

"Ahhh," Alaric chuckled. "No. I didn't get around to it."

Talia was slightly crestfallen. "Aw! I was looking forward to some good news,"

Alaric smiled sadly. "Soon, I promise,"

*in the study at Tyler's house*

The Mayor had gone to bed and Tyler was sitting in a chair that once belonged to his father. He was staring at the woman in front of him, Jules, who was staring him down. "So. Your mother doesn't know Mason is dead?" Jules' tone was incredulous.